Bach Kantate Nr 51

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler, Jul 25, 2007.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I speaking about C concert............a tone down if you use the D trumpet.
    Wilmer

2. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Exactly.

The problem is that I want to play along with the recording a couple of times to get a feel for the piece. But the recording is flat and there aint enough tuning slide on my D to compensate.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Chalk it up to a bad recording. I have played it on a Bach D trumpet and it worked fine.
    Wilmer

4. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I lucked into some great recordings of this via a library LP purge (Guttler on one, and I think Andre in one of those myriad Musical Heritage Society albums).

Anyway, for a commercially available recording that is a good example of a straightforward, modern version don't forget Wynton and Kathleen Battle's Baroque Duet on CBS/Columbia.

(DON'T cue Wynton bash session, as that's well-trodden and almost always off-topic.) It's a really lovely, graceful album with luxurious singing that can sit alongside more historical recording, and I'm pretty sure I've played alongside it at modern (concert C) pitch. There are many better recordings, but few stand a chance of being at your Best Buy or Barnes and Noble.

On the cover he's holding the Schilke picc. I don't know what instrument he's playing on the Bach, because all the Scarlatti stuff sounds slightly brighter than the Bach.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most of the orchestras dedicated to "period" baroque instruments do tune to A=415. That is about a half step lower than the A=440 normally used today.
    If you want to play along, download the freeware "AUDACITY". You can then load the cut, change the pitch without changing the speed and practice normally.

6. Bugler

Bugler Banned

That sounds like a great remedy! I 'll try that and get back to you.

Thanks!!

7. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Rowuk:

BINGO!!! Works like a charm. And a great tool for some other projects.

Thanks very, very much!!!!

Mark