bach large/small letter format

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by trumpet blower88, Jun 24, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've heard alot about the differant lettering on the bach mouthpices, for example: Large letter 3C, or a Small letter 7C. I was just wondering what the differance was? Is the large letter 3C still the same size and shape as the small letter 3C? Or is one worth more money than the other?

I have a large letter 1C and my 3C and 7C are both in the small letters. I noticed this a while ago, but I never really thought about it untill I heard more people talking about it the last few days.

I know this probably isn't too big a deal, one is probably just newer than the other or something, but I was just curious...

2. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    The large letter ones were measured and cut using a CNC lathe.
    These are meant to replace the old small lettered ones that were much less consistant.
    In general, I find the large letter ones more comfortable, as they seem to have more rounded rims.

If you want copies of older Mount Vernon mouthpieces, Mark Curry is doing a great job of this. He uses the computer lathe, also, and has many cup depths to choose from. His sizes are very consistent.

3. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    There are new small letered mouthpieces that have replaced the large letter ones.

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Are you sure about that?

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes now Bach has gone back to small lettering, perhaps to try to trick the consumer. But the font of the lettering is obviously different now from the older small letters.