Bach Magnificat

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by bugler16, Jan 5, 2004.

1. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    I've been working on the Magnificat for a competition. Wow what an excerpt. Anyway I have the Phil Smith excerpt CD which I often liste too for help interpretting excerpts. In this excerpt there is a C (on a picc) actually written as a G that is 2 dotted halfs tied to a quarter. On the cd Smith plays a trill across these 2+ bars. However in my excerpt books nor my complete first part is a trill indicated there. Now the question "To trill or not to trill?" Any replies on personal preference or that of the greats would be greatly appreciated.

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Your post isn't entirely clear, but I assume your talking about measures 25-27 of the 1st trumpet part. My part definitely indicates a trill on this note.

Perhaps your complete part is from an older or rarely used edition. Are there lots of dynamic and/or articulation marks? The presence of such would indicate a non-standard edition of the piece that may have all sorts of suspect additions/deletions.

I'd suggest calling Kalmus and getting a part from them. They'll send you a part from the BWV edition, which is what you'll customarily see on auditions. The Magnificat in D is BWV 243.

In short, do the trill.

Best of luck!
    Bob

3. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    yeah you are right I didn't have the music in front of me so I wasn't sure about the measure #'s. My part does not have a lot of dynamic marking but seems to be quite old (actually out of a book "Top 50 Complete Trumpet 1 Parts") Thankyou for the info. I will most definately do the trill.

4. bulldog

bulldog Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    my part doesnt indicate a trill in bars 25-27, but later on in bars 84-86, which is the same musical material, a trill is indicated. phil doesnt always indicate it on the disc, but he does jump around in a number of excerpts, perhaps this was his way of covering the trill part without repeating the same material over and over.