Bach Mt Vernon Switch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Jul 14, 2013.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hi, I have been playing on a Martin 7 that came with my Committee years ago. I happened to acquire a vintage Mt Vernon 1 1/4C mouthpiece at an estate sale. From what I have read this is like the Holy Grail of mouthpieces. I would have to work hard to learn to use it and switch, Do you think I would screw up my ambuture?:shhh: I don't really like the sound any better just different, more orchestral and louder. Would I be switching just because of its history?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While having a Mount Vernon mouthpiece is neat, it is not necessarily what you need for your best playing. You need a mouthpiece that fits you. I have a Mount Vernon 1 1/2 C and, of the 20 or so mouthpieces I own, it is the worse possible mouthpiece for me.

What you have to answer is, why would you change mouthpieces? Was there a problem with what you were using?
    You should always use what works best for you. After 50 years of playing and trying many mouthpieces, including a custom job that Dinacolla spent two days designing for me (used it a good bit back in my college and first years out of college), I'm now playing on a stock Bach 3C. It works best.

With technology of today, folks like at Kanstul can measure any mouthpiece -including a Mt Vernon- and make you a brand new one with similar specs.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mike