Bach Piccolos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Any one here have any lip time on the new Bach Piccolo?

Just looking for thoughts or opinions about this horn.

Thanks

2. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Any one? It is the Bach VBS196 Stradivarius Piccolo Trumpet.

3. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Let me preface by saying that I have very, very limited piccolo skills. I have tried a number horns (Schilke P5-4, Kanstul CCT 920, Yamaha 6810, the original Bach 196, & Yamaha 915.) The new Bach was the easiest for ME to play and I was able to get a better sound than all the horns. I was getting ready to purchase the Kanstul 920, then got the chance to try the VBS196. I ended up getting the Bach.

Garry

4. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I purchased the VBS 196 picc and I'm very happy with it. For me it has much more going for it regarding sound, flexibility than the P5-4. With the Reeves alignment, it has spot on intonation and is very even up and down the register, particularly in the upper range. It also has great valves and it comes with a small slide that puts in in the key of G when the 4th valve is pressed and held and when using the A pipe. This convenient standard feature allows the versatility of having a picc that plays in A, Bb, AND G!

The build is first rate. If you plan on keeping a picc to expand your playing opportunities and make additional money for wedding work, this is a sweet unknown gem. If however, you tend to buy and sell horns, the lack of awareness in the market will hinder its resale value. If you buy it to play it, you will have one of, if not the finest picc available IMHO regardless of price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Lovelly piccolo... made at Stomvi (Spain).
    To tell you the truth, it is the older Stomvi pro model (not the master model, of course) with very few modifications.
    I think it is sent disassembled from Spain and assembled at CamBrass in California.
    Of course, as every Stomvi made instrument, top quality.
    But I preffer the Thein or Scherzer piccolos.
    Best regards

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    You're finally thinking about getting a picc?? Great!! :thumbsup:

That Bach is NICE!!

7. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Been thinking about it a long time now. I have been borrowing one as it seems the more I play the more I can use one. You can only borrow for so long before you have to buy.