Bach/Schilke sound?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by DaveH, Apr 7, 2005.

1. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have often heard about the "Bach" sound as it relates to trumpets. A subject of much discussion and opinion...

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether there is a Bach sound in mouthpieces? And if so, is there a Schilke "sound," regarding the Schilke line of mouthpieces?

Do these two different lines have any sort of characteristic sound, or do they have any tendencies toward helping achieving anything in particular in regard to tone, in and of themselves, and apart from the player?

Any experiences or thoughts?

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    In my limited experience, I think that the Bach sound comes from the horn, and same with the Schilke. I think that you just get a certain feel from a mouthpiece. Bach rims and Schilke rims are different, but even their most similar mouthpieces feel different. I don't think it affects the sound so much as it just does how you feel playing the trumpet.

3. montypythn

montypythn New Friend

Mar 27, 2005
    IMHO
    yes there is an obvious difference in sounds between bach and schilke I,ve played both...alot, but most of those differences are from making the mouthpieces differently. most bach mouthieces have more bite from the rims. If both manufacturers made identical mouthpieces...they would sound the same. Any inherant differences in sound are from somewhere on the mouthpiece being different, and they are.

4. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Yes, I think there's a definite difference in sound between Bach and Schilke MPs. At least there is in my own playing.
    If you want to hear the quintessential Schilke sound, listen to Clifford Brown. (Listen to him anyway. Along with being my life-long hero, he's the pinnacle.). I'm pretty sure he played a Schilke for I saw the lettering and distinctive Schilke silhouette on his MP on an album cover. Of course that may not mean he actually played one but it's a good bet.
    Chet Baker played a Bach MP. He had a sound all his own though, didn't he?