Bach soloist, Yamaha ytr 2335, Yamaha ytr 2320 or king 600?????

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Leynang101, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Leynang101

Leynang101 New Friend

Oct 27, 2016
    Hi! I'm a junior in high school and this is my 6th year playing trumpet and I'm looking to buy one. Which brand and model is recommended for a player like me at an affordable price? Thanks! :play:

2. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    What are your playing interests and do you intend to pursue playing and studying trumpet after HS?

What are you currently playing?

3. Leynang101

Leynang101 New Friend

Oct 27, 2016
    Im currently playing a Yamaha Qclass trumpet and yes I do plan on continueing to play beyond high school probably as a hobby and not as a major.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In your shoes I'd recommend a Yamaha YTR 6335 - I think that trumpet would take you as far as you wanted to go with playing. It's fully a pro-level horn, but comes in at the bottom level of the pro-level price scale with a street price of around $2200.

It's always interesting when someone comes onto the board looking for a trumpet recommendation, and then lists off a bevy of student or mid-level trumpets that are mostly student level horns dressed up with some cosmetic or functional niceties such as a fixed 3rd valve slide ring, first vale slide saddle and silver plating.

There come a point in time where if you are serious about it, you need to up your game and get something that isn't a compromise. That's what I did when I started to get serious about my drumming - I picked up a 4-piece shell-pack (kick and 3 toms) that were marketed as "entry level pro" but they really had it where it counted - well made, 100% maple shells with precision cut bearing edges, a nice lacquer finish, and solid attached hardware. I got those drums 10 years ago and there has never been a need to "upgrade" - they look great, they sound great, and they were put together well so they've gone the distance when it comes to being used regularly. I'd never have gotten that with a student level or mid-level step-up drum kit.

The same can be said for trumpets. If you are serious about it, save your money a bit longer and get into something that you won't think about upgrading in another 2-3 years.

5. Leynang101

Leynang101 New Friend

Oct 27, 2016
    I understand that a big factor in being a good player is in the horn itself and of course an advanced professional trumpet is the best, but I'm only a highschool student with a limited budget and $2000 is way out of my budget. I choose to get my own trumpet sooner than later since the one I'm currently using is not personally my own. Out of the 4 listed, which one is the best for a person with a budget like myself (which for me is under $1000 and yes I am turning towards a used horn)

6. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
  7. Leynang101

Leynang101 New Friend

Oct 27, 2016
  8. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    On Austin custom brass website there is a good selection of new trumpets for under $1,000 dollars. ACB entry level lacquer $749.00 free shipping, ACB entry level silver, $829.00 with $35.00 shipping, BRASSPIRE UNICORN 900H HEAVY TRUMPET $849.00 with $35.00 shipping,
    BRASSPIRE UNICORN PRO 750S TRUMPET IN SILVER PLATE $799.00 and $25.00 SHIPPING.

Look at some of Trent's videos. Talk to him, so you can narrow down your choices.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    To answer your question, the most popular student instruments worldwide, and with good reason, are the Yamaha 2xxx models.

The 2320 was discontinued nearly 20 years ago. Good instrument that can be bought second-hand (obviously) for not much money. But finding one that has been well looked after may not be so easy.

That model's replacement, the 2335, got the Xeno-pattern bell. It was discontinued as recently as 2012, so much easier to find second-hand instruments in good condition. Check the valves for wear. Some models (2335M) had monel valves which (I believe) are less well suited to typical student use than the nickel plated valves on the rest of the range.

The current model is the 2320. Monel valves, but you're going to treat them with care from new, right? So not a problem.

10. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    For under $1000, my personal choice would be (is!) a used Benge. I have bought two semi-recently, a 3X MLP and a 5X ML for just about $600 each. Both were immediately playable, and both look great. (Used, but great.) It's hard to find them that inexpensive, and I'm sure they're far from the only good choice out there. A friend of mine landed a good-looking 3X ML for $350 a couple of years ago, that will be a feat difficult to equal. You get a good one at a good price, and even if it turns out that you don't particularly like it you can always resell it and get your money back.