Bach Strad 37 Problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachStrad37, Jun 30, 2012.

1. BachStrad37

BachStrad37 New Friend

Jun 24, 2012
    Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Bach Strad 37 late 2011 model; it is my first professional trumpet. I have only been playing it for a week. With that said however, I'm finding a problem with it. Whenever I play a first-space F, an airy sound accompanies the note that I cannot identify. The same occurs with F sharp, and the G a little bit. It becomes really obvious when playing second-line G when I use the alternate fingering 1&3, and I am not understanding why this is happening. The problem seems to be confined to these three notes. Is it a problem with the trumpet and should I consider returning it within my fourteen day trial period, or is this normal? Thanks.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Before returning the trumpet ask someone else to play the horn. If they have the same problem then it's you, not the horn. You may still wish to return the horn, but it will at least be an informed decision.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Check that the valves are locked in to the valve guide slots.
    Check that the waterkey corks completely seal the water key holes.

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Try what was said above, then take off your 1st slide and put your thumb over top tube. Press all of the valves and blow through your horn, it should not be easy and you should lose pressure very slowly. If you can hear air coming out, you have a hole.

Also, is this brand new or new to you?

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Also, shine a flashlight down the legs of the tuning slide and the lead pipe to make certain that there are no blobs of solder sticking into the airway.

AND - make sure that the 3rd slide retaining nuts are tight against each other

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    deleted. redundant posts.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Try all the above, and if persist return the horn ASAP. "When it doubt get it out." A trumpet you bought used should have been pro tested before to insure, something such as this, should not have occured. I bought a horn recently, and it was simple the chap had not put the valve guides properly in one casing .

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think you meant, "If they don't have the same problem then it's you, not the horn."

9. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    But I thought it was always the player........

;-)

10. BachStrad37

BachStrad37 New Friend

Jun 24, 2012
    Hi again guys,

Thank you to everyone that invested a little bit of time trying to help! I bought this "brand new" at a music store. I've done everything you guys have recommended and nothing has seemed to help. I checked everything with a flashlight and I can't identify anything that would be obstructing it.

With that said, whenever it happens there seems to be something vibrating towards the bottom of the horn. I personally hear it like someone is sucking through a straw (or maybe that's just me being crazy), but regardless of the exact noise something seems to be vibrating and I think there's an air leak somewhere. Any last recommendations before I take this back?