Bach Strad 37 vs. MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ayukawa, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Ayukawa

Ayukawa New Friend

Jul 3, 2014
    Syracuse, New York
    I'm not a smart man.

I had my MacBook sitting closed on a chair, and had my trumpet case over it while I was fiddling with my horn on and off this evening. Got ready for bed, grabbed my case by the handle, and found out the hard way that it wasn't latched properly. After some cursing and tantrum throwing, I inspected the horn and appear to have gotten VERY lucky, not a single dent or scratch I can see.

As I want to pack my laptop up, I noticed a new suspiciously trumpet bell-shaped dent on the lid. I opened it up and turned it on. The hit had been enough to shatter the glass over the screen. Fortunately the screen itself is fine, and I'd rather have to fix my laptop than my instrument.

Winner: Bach Strad 37

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    +1

We've all been there. Sorry to hear about the MacBook. But I'm glad your trumpet came out unscathed.

Mike

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    One win for old-style technology! Nothing beats pure metal!

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    At first I thought this thread was going to be asking to choose between buying a trumpet and buying a laptop, the answer which should be obvious.

Glad your Strad is okay.

--bumblebee

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Not always. For example, a new Mac is worth like $2000. That's 2 used Strads (or 4, if you know where to look).

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Please write next time something about your dog.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    That's not 100% fair -- you should compare prices of a used Mac with a used Strad. Or compare the cost of a new Strad to the price of a new Mac.

And to be even fairer, compare the price (and fitness for purpose :-)) of an 8-year-old Mac with that of a 8-year-old Strad.

--bumblebee

(okay, okay, I read now the first Mac laptop named "MacBook Pro" was produced in 2006, updating the text above to suit...)

8. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    Old Macs become valueless I have several that I no longer use. Old Strads are wondeful. I have two that I use all the time.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Strads are tanks. I had one knocked over on a stand once and it survived it with just barely a dent in the crook of the bell, and I mean barely - if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't see it. Then again, it got knocked over one other time and it rendered it useless because it fell over on the slide side and the 2nd valve got stuck.

In any case, I'd rather have had to repair the Strad - repairs are generally easier and less costly, depending on the damage of course.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Mac OS 9 in the SheepShaver emulator is fun to use, but it is not super versatile. Same goes for older PC OSs in Virtual PC.
    For actual computing, I have a decent HP running Windows 7 - only a few years old.

But if I owned a Strad, I'd rather have one from the 1970s, as I have a strong suspicion they were made consistently better back then [versus the highly variable ones of later years].