Bach Strad 43 Bad or good year?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Dec 11, 2008.

1. vrrodri

vrrodri New Friend

Sep 12, 2008
    I am considering to buy a used Bach Strad 43. Original owner says he has had the trumpet for about three years so it might be a 2004 or 2005 production model. Was 2004/05 a good year for Bach? I hear that there were some issues with Bach quality during some years.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    The only way to know is to play it and compare to any other horn you might want. Horns vary horn to horn, not year to year, so if it works for you, it's a good one.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    What Pedal C said. Go play it. Give it a good looking over, check for good soldering at the braces and valve body, pull the valves and eyeball 'em. If it wasn't built right you should be able to tell.
    veery

4. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    Strads are Strads. Play some and see which one is the best. There some Stards that aren't for you. I played three different 37s to see which one worked the best.

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Play before you pay!!! There are some Strads that are rumored to be better or lesser in quality than others, and some vintages are more collectable, but If it plays well, than it's worth every penny.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Only the geeks make an issue of good or bad years. This is not WINE. Each horn is different. The Strads do not fall apart, so the differences are not easily visible.

Bach is an instrument that you must PLAY before making up your mind.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Go play the horn...

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Play the horn,
    The problem is not the year usually, but what the tech who assembled it had for lunch that day.

9. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    This is a question for my personal lack of knowledge:

Why is it that within the same brand (for example Bach`s) and same model almost every horn is different...I mean it is the exakt same material used and fore sure the same measurements in millimeters used. Still the horns come out different (inconsistent) .
    Why is that?

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Partly its not the exact same material, because metals aren't always the same.
    The temperature at which the tuning slide is made is different, the braces might be slightly different, the bell bow may be slightly different.
    Its all about quality control and techs knowing how to adjust for the differences