Bach Strad 43 Bad or good year?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vrrodri, Dec 11, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland

ahh...if that is the case it sounds to me that that kind of "factory" should not have a quality certificate. ( I work on a factroy my self...not trumpet making thoug)

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

When you are kicking out as many horns as they do, and its as delicate an art (with science thrown in), it is difficult to say the least to produce as evenly. Plus, just using the same lathe for long periods of time changes everything as they get worn down (this is just my understanding, from all of my academic internet readings ;-))

3. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    quality = consistent . Then it is up to the company to make what they want of theyr horns.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    easy answer: Bachs quality control does not catch the marginal horns. If they were sending back 20 to 30% for corrections, they would pay better attention. If they don't care, the dogs get sent to customers!

I believe the problem is the placement of the braces and the tension in the materials. There is a shop in Switzerland run by René Spada. He rebuilds Bach trumpets with Swiss watchmaker precision. ALL of those horns are real keepers. It isn't the parts, it is the artisan paying attention. I am convinced that he could take the worst Bach dog and make it artist quality just by putting it together the right way.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any company that wants to learn something about mass production just needs to check out Yamaha. I have NEVER had a bad or even marginal Yamaha horn in my hands. They had trouble with a valve alloy many years ago, but fixed that in short order. The horns are impeccably put together, are in tune and can be bought blind. They just CARE.

Bach could do it too, I guess they haven't figured that out yet.