Bach strad cornet valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Aug 22, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Just to let people know cleaning the cornet repeatedly has solved the sticking valve issue. However the cornet does not like oil! The sticking returns if I oil the valves I have tried ultra pure, Bach, Dennis wick, blue juice anybody know which are the thinner type oils?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hetman's #1. If they still stick after that, it is more than likely a mechanical issue or you have some really thick saliva!

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you're looking for thin oil, Blue Juice is pretty dang thin. I switched to Alysin synthetic oil on my horns and haven't had a valve issue since. The only drawbacks are: if I leave a horn in the car in cold weather, the valves are sluggish until they warm up, and the action is not quite as fast as with something like Blue Juice. The good points: no sticking and it doesn't evaporate - I can go for a month (or more) between oilings with no problems.

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I have had good results with Hetman #1 on a Yamaha Xeno that had sticking issues with several other oils.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Have you cleaned the valves between different oils. If not that can cause a problem as they often mix with bad results.

I suggest you try Berp Bio Oil. Or Binak.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet valves belong to the dumb design department. There is no "forced" lubrication - only a prayer that what we squirt on to it does the job.

Oil floats on water. If the valve and casing are not bone dry before oiling, you are only lubricating the moisture or sludge around the valves.

Petroleum based oils last max 24 hours. Then the lubricant has evaporated leaving only moisture and sludge to "protect" the valve. Synthetic oils do not evaporate as fast, BUT when we only properly oil once a week, the sludge build up can cause sticking. This depends on your saliva, if you brush your teeth before playing and how well you brushed. Another factor is accumulated grunge in the horn that in time, wanders to places (like the valves) where it has the maximum disadvantage.

Mechanical problems need a tech, generally good oiling habits solve most issues. Very worn valves do not provide enough common surface area for the oil film to remain intact. That very often causes them to stick even if oiled a lot. Thicker oil or a valve job a useful here!