Bach Strad poor purchase

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chief X, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Chief X

Chief X New Friend

Mar 25, 2012
    Hey everyone, again...thanks for the good thoughts and suggestions. I am going to take the horn to a local music store where they apparently have a really good horn doc. I'll see if he can help me with this. I actually have the trumpet on C.L. to try and sell as it is very aggravating to me and I feel that I have spent more than enough time and effort to correct the problem. It's funny - I can play a song or two and all seems well, then halfway through a song, a valve sticks. Usually the 2nd or 3rd. There is no indication like sluggishness etc. I just depress the valve and it stays down. I do notice that when I clean the bore and the valve (all three) that they don't go back in even fairly easily. They tend to hang up and feel very tight, even with lubrication. I also notice that they do not turn freely once in the bore, as if they are not perfectly round, but maybe somewhat egg shaped. Does this sound normal. I also have noticed that the valves (especially number 2) has a line that looks kind of etched in it, as if to show that there is a burr or something in the bore.
    Again, this is rather irritating, having purchased what I figured to be a great instrument, not requiring a lot of spent time dealing with valve issues. Thanks again for your feedback.

Chief X

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Taking it to a tech sounds like a great idea. We all wish you all the best, and hope you are able to get this problem resolved.

Mike

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This sounds like the issue I had which I pursued with another manufacturer. It could be that the piston tolerance is so close it tightens up as the piston is warmed, but the people back at the factory who looked at it might not have tested the valve action beyond a couple of minutes each time so did not reproduce your problem. When this happened to me I explained the second time how I experienced my problem and everything was fixed up the second time I sent them my trumpet since they could then observe what I observed.

Is that before your valves start sticking on you, or when you notice them sticking on you? Whatever the case that doesn't sound so good.

Have you disclosed the problem you are having in your ad on C.L.? I don't know how to find your listing to see for myself.

--bumblebee

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    See Masterwannabe,
    You're never too old to learn! I never used this idea but now that you've described how it was/is done, I've got to check it out.
    Thanks!!
    Dr.Mark

5. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I cannot believe that Musicians Friend and Bach don't want to make this right... Best of luck.

6. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    I read this ongoing story. I agree with the majority of the replies but simply must chime in here and say that what you describe here is definitely not proper valve action and is a mechanical problem. I can't imagine how such a problem made it through the QC process but this is definitely an equipment problem, period.

PLEASE let all of us know what you eventually did and how it worked out.

Not part of your problem but related side comment... 'I suffer from similar problems with my Bach and Yamaha. That's why the last horn I bought was a Getzen. Now there's some set of valves! Truly a class of their own. :D

7. Chief X

Chief X New Friend

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks for all of the positive feedback and recommendations. I worked the valves last night while watching tv for about 2 hours (trading back and forth with the wife) I mean trading the horn back and forth with the wife, not trading back working the horn then the wife... Anyway, i think that was a good tip to just keep working the valves. They would all respond swiftly and quietly for ten to fifteen minutes then one or the other would get sluggish and stick. Then I would remove, wipe down and re-oil. After about two hours they all seem to be ok but I'm sure today, when I practice, they'll be bothersome again. I'll keep working it for now and if it doesn't improve much, off to the music store I'll go. Thanks again everyone. This forum is wonderful because of all of you.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I haven't read the whole thread, but to respond to this post, I do have a suggestion - save yourself the headache and buy something from another maker - almost any other maker. My personal favorite is Schilke. I have yet to hear anyone say they got a clinker Schilke, and they are priced well within reach of the Strad. Given the difference in the end product, it just doesn't make sense to me why anyone still chooses Bach over the plethora of other makers with designs that are more agile as players, and are put together better from a manufacturing perspective. Applying that line of thought to Schilkes, they are probably the absolute best bang for the buck when considering what you pay for what is essentially a hand-crafted instrument made to unbelievably exacting standards.

To give an example of this, I had the opportunity to play on a late 60s era Schilke B6 - it was so close to my late 90s produced B6 that someone could have switched it out on me and I might not have been able to tell. I could have gigged it that very night and not had to worry about trying to acclimate to a new horn.

Over the last decade or so I've really started to wonder why the Bach seems to have such a stranglehold on the idea that a Strad is the first horn to look at when considering a professional model trumpet, and I say that after having spent nearly 2 decades with a Strad in my hands as my main trumpet. Now that I have seen the light, I will never go back.

If you can, get your money back and put it toward something else - look at Schilke, Shires, Yamaha and Kanstul first, and expand out from there. Heck, even give Carol Brass a look. A year or so ago I was on the NTC demo floor, and there was a Carol that stood out that day as one of the nicest playing horns I tried, regardless of the fact that it was very modestly priced.

I just read this - you shouldn't have to do that ever, and especially not for a horn that costs as much as a new Strad costs. I just picked up an ACB Doubler flugelhorn, and all I had to do was do a quick scrub up of the valves and casings with valve brush, re-oil, and they were good to go. And they have stayed that way without a re-oil since I did it.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Good to hear from you Patrick. Good post - from a guy that actually stuck with his Strad for almost 20 years!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glutton for punishment!ROFLROFL;-)

bumblebee likes this.