Bach Strad question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DGLawrence, Jan 7, 2012.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ditto, Wow. I would think if you ever sell it, that would greatly increase the value.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Don't sell it!

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Shhhh! That was my next question!

Im kidding, I would never sell a trumpet like that.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    That MT Vernon is in prestine condition and it has become what just learned on TM is called my "closet queen". I pull her out every so often to to give her a spin but I am quite afraid to put her into regular rotation. She sounds so sweet and mellow. I have been told that there is a coronet quality to it, maybe because it is a medium bore.

BrotherBACH

5. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I guess I'm wrong. In my emails with Roy Hempley about some unique horns I own, he never mentioned they made 2 shop cards for each horn and sent one with it. I've never even read it anywhere else.

I learned something. I'd be curious if any owner of an original shop card that came with the horn has ever requested a copy from Conn-Selmer - were the cards done with carbon paper (since this was before copy machines), or were they filled out by hand twice for every horn?

No, folks don't hack in to the database - if you call Conn-Selmer, and ask nicely, they'll email you a scan of the original card - Mt Vernon and prior. The early Elkhart cards are still in file cabinets, wrapped in plastic according to Mr. Hempley.

You had mentioned you really liked the Mt Vernon horns. Have you played one and a similar early Elkhart for comparison? I actually prefer the really early Elkharts to a late Mt Vernon.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    forrest, I love the Mt. Vernons and NY's. My friend has a 1927 6/6 NY Bach and I like it. But my favorite is the 7/7. In my community band the guys that sit on both sides of my play Mt. Vernons, a 37 and 43. I havent found a Mt. Vernon that I dont like, or NY. I prefer the early Mt. Vernons and all NY's over anything else. I just love the sound. Soon I will have a NY 7/7 and a Mt. Vernon 72. Both are super rare, the 72 comes up so rare that I have only seen 1 for sale. It was on Horntrader.

7. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    That sounds pretty nice - you're doing well with horns for (I think you mentioned earlier?) being in high school. I bought a Selmer Radial new in 1971, while a freshman in high school that I still have. It's the most "comfortable" horn I own.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yup, 10th grader. And by soon I meant that I will own one, I dont know if it will be today or in 30 years. But that is what I want. Do you own and old Bachs?

9. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    Oh, I assumed you meant you were getting them now. Good luck.

It depends on how you define "old". I have a 37 from the first week of Elkhart production, and a couple more from slightly later. I had a set of Bach 55 Field Trumpets like used at Arlington - the last made in gold plate (s/n 20), and the last in silver (s/n 30). They were the reason for my communications with Mr. Hempley - I was looking for information on them. I sold them when I stopped doing military funerals a few years back.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Forrest,

I have both. I have a MT Vernon and Early Elkhart. I love them both for different reason. I believe my Elkhart to be a more open solid sound. The MT Vernon is a much tighter mellow sound. I think I posted that my teacher and another symphonic player tried it and fell in love with it. They both thought it was "coronet" sounding. They loved how full the low register was while another loved how it opened in the high register. Sounds like a perfect horn. Now, I know for sure any problems are "me" and not the horn I am playing. :-)

Ooops. I forgot, I could always blame at least one of my two MT. Vernon 3C mouthpieces, which are slightly different from each other.

BrotherBACH

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012