Bach Strad...rebuild or not?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turbomacncheese, Oct 22, 2013.

1. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese New Friend

Nov 6, 2012
    I think I've finally decided to throw in the towel on my mid-80s Bach. No matter what I think, practicing always ends up taking a backseat to my young children/college coursework/grown-up responsibilities/etc.

It has some wear on the finish in several places, some very minor dings, etc. If I send it off to get refinished/de-dinged/etc, will I get a return for the money spent ($500 or so locally)? Or would I be better served to sell it as is?

Thanks

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Ready to quit so soon? Sorry to hear that. In my '30's, when I was busy hustling, I had little time for practice. Or so I thought... This made a difference in my playing to the point where I became discouraged. Fortunately I knew a few old timers who didn't let me off the hook that easily.
    In fact it's because of them that I did not stop playing, but managed to play/practice nearly every day, if only for a stolen 15 minutes.
    My playing became better again, I regained my confidence and my sessions became longer. You're lucky because the Strad is a very forgiving horn that will let you focus notes, or "slot" fairly easily with a decent embouchure.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    My answer to your question is to clean it and sell the instrument "as is". Let the new owner decide how they want it to look.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I agree with Ivan. Unless it is in horrible shape, strads usually sell. Let the new owner make the decision.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with Steve and Ivan.

Coincidentally, I had my 2 1970-era Bach Strad's refinished by Kanstul about 18 months ago. They did great work. But I doubt that I would have gotten my money out of the horns if I turned around and sold it.

Sell it "as is" ... or hold on to it for 10 more years, and then start your comeback.

Mike

6. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Why not keep the horn for when you have more free time?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I was thinking similar things. If you owned this horn since either of you were not yet fully grown, selling it will break your heart eventually (unless you hated it).

Surely your family can find 30 minutes for you to practice?

Tom

8. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese New Friend

Nov 6, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. My next "comeback" will be somewhere around comeback 7 or 8. Playing was always fun, but I live in a little splat of a town where the nearest community band would take about 45 minutes of driving. I may keep it yet...we've been together for 17 years. It just isn't any fun to play without performance/partners. My kids are too young to "get it" and the wife is not musical. Thanks again.
    Tony

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I agree on keeping it. I had one which I sold due to medical family problems and sure wish I had it now:-(:oops:

10. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Which group of trumpet players out there is larger: Group #1 - players who sold their older horns and are still, to this day, happy about that decision; Group #2 - players who sold their older horns and, to this day, regret doing so?

Enough said?