Bach Strad...rebuild or not?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turbomacncheese, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I think we can target Group #2 as the stronger demographic, despite many unpolled outliers not included in the study.

2. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese New Friend

Nov 6, 2012
    Indeed. I guess it might fetch 6 or 700 bucks, which isn't likely to go far right now, and if I ever wanted another pro-grade horn(say in another 15 years when things calm down) it would cost a lot more than the $500 it would take to rebuild this one. Sometimes I think I'm not much more than a sentimental sap.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I own a '72 Strad I bought as an investment. I was offered twice what I paid on a wholesale level. If I had it replated @ $400, which is possible, I could easily get $1200 for it, maybe more. It may or may not get me anymore so it would be a crap shoot to do it.
    On the other hand, I would not sell my first trumpet. There are many ways to skin the "no time to practice" cat. 10 ft. of flexible pvc 3/8 inch hose and your mpc gets you a "hose trumpet"!! Low tech for sure but oh so effective!!! I used to hate "wasting" time on long tones until I realized I could do them in my truck while driving (not in bumper to bumper!!) . Sounds like you live in the boonies so it could be done while commuting.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I typically drive 30 minutes to brass band rehearsals, and some people drive 60 to 90 minutes to get there, so don't let a little drive time stop you.

I'm a member of Group #2. I sold my first trumpet, the used Conn 6B my parents bought for me in high school (I played cornet before that). I sold it to buy a Bach Strad, and have regretted selling it as the years have passed. I found another one on eBay a few years ago and bought it, and it's in better condition than my old one was...but it isn't my old one.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    When I got the Strad, I gave away the Argenta I played through school. Would like to have that one back as well:dontknow::roll::oops:

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Being a sentimental sap is a GOOD thing. Your kids will grow up and you wife will likely grow in her appreciation of you if you keep it and yield to your inner muscial drive. Playing is good for your soul and will feed you in ways nothing else will.
    Keep it and I doubt very much you will be sorry in the long run.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Sometimes wish I'd hung on to the Holton MF ST307S... if only for repelling 'space invaders'

8. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Well said.

9. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    My parents bought me my Strad in the eighth grade I think. I don't even remember what I played on before that. My Strad will always be my "first horn" and I'll never sell it.

10. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    I had young kids and a non musical wife who hated the trumpet. Not a great combination, however strong your personality is! I practiced for about two years before giving it up for a few years. I don't know if my taking it up again CAUSED the marriage to fail, or whether it was a symptom of it failing. Nevertheless I persevered and I'm very glad I did. I had to find creative ways of playing - a friend's house, when everyone was out, practice mute, even contemplated building a shed on our cliff of a garden lol!