Bach Strad to Calicchio

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradbac, Nov 19, 2008.

1. lunatla

lunatla New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Composers as well as conductors demand a variety of timbres depending on the piece at hand so it can range from a brassy Mahler sound to a warm fuzzy Bach sound, it all depends on the directors wants. I have a director who when we performed Danza From Marquez wanted a very rhythmically strict sound with no expansion of lyrical emotion. While some directors want a very emotional characteristics sound.

2. bigdanv

bigdanv Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2009
    Connecticut
    The general opinion here seems to be that if you play a Calicchio, you're going to produce a bright "commercial-ish" sound. While it's true that arguably the best known models (1S7, 1S2, etc.) are known to produce that kind of sound, it's also true that you would have no trouble finding a combination that plays with a warm sound. the 9 leadpipe with the 3 bell for example, produces a very rich sound, at least when I'm playing it. The drawback on these combinations is that they are bigger, and consequently less efficient.
    People associate Calicchio with a commercial sound because that's what made them famous, but you should be aware that there are combinations that can get you the "dark" sound if that's what you're looking for. My advice, try out a 1S7. Not terribly bright, but definitely not a bach, and it's a very easy blow.

3. bdeep787

bdeep787 New Friend

Feb 29, 2008
    NYC
    BigdanV is correct. For the most part Calicchios are know for a more commercial sound and their ease of playing. They also print (record) great. That said... aside from my 1s2 that I've played for 23 yrs. I had a copper 3/9 that was dark and buttery! it had a quick responsive blow (typical of Calichhios) but was a big horn and quite a bit of work to play.
    It all a matter of what you're looking for sound-wise, blow-wise and if that's the right tool for the job.
    just my 2 cents...
    Peace-
    Barry

4. bdeep787

bdeep787 New Friend

Feb 29, 2008
    NYC
    BigdanV is correct. For the most part Calicchios are known for a more commercial sound and their ease of playing. They also print (record) great. That said... aside from my 1s2 that I've played for 23 yrs. I had a copper 3/9 that was dark and buttery! it had a quick responsive blow (typical of Calichhios) but was a big horn and quite a bit of work to play.
    It all a matter of what you're looking for sound-wise, blow-wise and if that's the right tool for the job.
    just my 2 cents...
    Peace-
    Barry

5. mimic

mimic Pianissimo User

May 3, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I have only played 'Strads in practice rooms and a little in H.S. band so my experience is limited on them. I do have a Calicchio 1s/7 that is my main horn. The 1s/7 blends in quite well with a community band setting as well a smaller church and brass ensembles. If you were to get the 1s/2 or R37 it would be much more difficult to blend in, if at all. Alot also has to do with the mouthpiece you stick in it. I've found the shallower cups really bring out the sizzle Calicchio is known for, so I use a deeper bowl for most settings. Just enjoy whatever you get. One benefit of the Calicchio over the Strad is you won't get a bad Caliccio ever. If there is anything you don't like about it John Duda will make it right whatever it takes. I doubt if you'll get that kind of attention from Selmer over a Strad you're not satisfied with.

6. tturboarnp

tturboarnp New Friend

Oct 28, 2009
    Ocala,Fl
    Hey hey
    Just a little intro and interesting note - Im back to playing the trumpet after almost a 15 year hiatus - went to HS of Performing arts - grad 1977 blah blah blah - I had the privilege of playing a Calicchio in the presence of greatness at the Brass Conference probably in 1977 or so in his hotel room - what ablast that was. Now Im toying with sending my Bach Strad somewhere to be re plated and overhauled - question is where do I send it - thanks guys/gals

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Mr. Danielian,
    Thanks so much for your insights and great posts. I love your Tower
    of Power stuff, btw! :cool:
    Just curious- the Calicchio you are playing now. Is it an older one made
    by Dominick or a newer one?
    Thanks again,
    -Andrew

8. lunatla

lunatla New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    If you are in the So Cal area take it to Anglin's Instrument Repair and they will set you up....It is well known in the So Cal Universities and Professional plus Kanstul works with them!!!

Great People and great quality!