Bach Stradivarius Maintenance Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    Hi everyone, last week my parents surprised me with a new silver Bach Stradivarius as a High School graduation gift and I've been beyond grateful and happy since day one. I'm not the smartest when it comes to maintenance, and I was wondering I can learn more from some of you guys so I can keep it in the best shape that I can. My Bach Strad came with a Yamaha Silver Polishing Cloth that I've been using regularly to remove fingerprints after I practice, and I've heard from many different people and sources that it's a good thing, and some other that it's a bad thing. Sorry again for my ignorance, I'm more than willing to put in the extra effort for maintenance and was looking for some pointers that can guide me in the right direction! :play:

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You don't need the silver polishing cloth EACH time you wipe the instrument down - get a microfibre cloth from KMart or the like - that way NOTHING is being removed from your 'precious' except finger marks and moisture. Use the silver cloth after you wash your trumpet - say every month or so. Note, I said AFTER, not before, because that cloth leaves a little protection on the surface and inhibits tarnish.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You can grab yourself a pack of Tarnishield strips by 3M and toss one in your case. This will help the trumpet stay shiny, without using a cloth.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you are not doing this already, especially with a new trumpet, wipe your valves and casings down regularly and oil frequently (I oil daily prior to use). Tiny bits and pieces of stuff commonly work loose as a new horn is played. Congratulations concerning receiving a fine trumpet!
    Jim

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    All good advice here.

I would keep the Polish cloth out of daily cleaning, and just use it for a monthly clean up.

I use a piece of soft lycra type material inside the case. A yellow boot cloth is good for wiping the horn down before you close the case. The wear spots around contact points are the focus.
    Stay away from trumpet guards - most cause more problems than they are worth.

100% agree with cleaning and oiling the valves daily. Don't forget to keep all the slides working, especially the 3rd valve dump slide at the end. I use UltraPure Oils, and Grease for the slides.

Congrats on the new horn. Now blow all the bad notes out of it as quick as you can.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Be advised that the above, while excellent advice, will take some time

7. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    Like the others have commented on, keep the inside of the horn as clean as you can (especially the lead pipe), clean and oil your valves regularly, and keep your slides greased. If there is a good brass repair person in your area make friends with them now.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Also, Yamaha makes a "Slim Cloth" for silver to get in the tight places on the valve cluster ans slides.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Put some oil through the clean leadpipe, helps with the valves and helps prevent Tone Maggots.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Pop the pistons out, hold the open cylinders under the shower and let the water go through. Your horn came with a valve cleaning rod - long with a slot at one end. Get an old silk tie or scarf, cut it into strips, and thread them through the slot. Push through the valve cylinders all the way and pull back out, do from both top and bottom, before you oil. Do this everyday for the nex month and you will be sure to get the little particles out which otherwise can score your pistons and cylinders.

Oil, reinsert the pistons, and blow the excess water out and play.

Don't forget to lube the slides, and make a habit of disassembling the entire horn monthly for a nice warm bath in some water with a few drops of dish soap. Rinse well and do the steps in the first paragraph.

A daily wipe with microfiber will keep it shiny. Only polish with the silver cloth or good polish (Maas) rarely.