Bach Strike/WWBW bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Siegtrmpt, Dec 6, 2006.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Wow. Strong sentiments from folks (especially B15M).

Look, I don't mean to start a firestorm against labor or those who struggle. I just wanted to point out that we were jumping on the "evil corporate greed" bandwagon. Let's not forget that the purpose of a business is to make profit, if it cannot do that, it will not be a business for long.

I don't mean to imply that the actions of some businesses is fair or even just, merely that they have that right. What we rarely see is simliar rhetoric regarding people who just quite and leave a company after it has invested countless thousands of dollars helping that individual build their resume, savings, and skills. The cost to a business of a given employee can often be two or even three times the real salary.

I've read about some truly crappy situations here...but it seems that much of the problem lies with judicial and legislative (government) faults, and sometimes even interpersonnal issues.

...I had something very long typed here, but I don't think it needed to be said. I have the utmost empathy for King and his situation. Forget the finances, just being forced to live away from my kids would rip my heart out.

And he gives me yet another reason to hate M*ch*g*n.....(sorry Chuck).

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    what really bothers me about this is the timing, they are crying poor to the workers and then bidding that kind of money for purchasing more. i already don't care much for the fact that they already own (just in brass) conn, benge, holton, bach, king, leblanc, martin, coutois(sp?). It is to the point where other then Yamaha, Getzen and the smaller manufactures, virtually all are owned by the same company. Shouldn't the government be looking into Steinway-Selmer-Conn for anti-trust violations?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks RJ,

You're a class act; but really my intent was to try and present the "other" side and nothing more. Somehow or another I put a bit more of my life into it then I really intended to.

Either way you're right.

A business that can't stay profitable folds it just sucks that sometimes when businesses are dishonorably managed it's the workers who suffer the greatest.

Peace to all my trumpet playing brethern!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Although the personal sides here have been documented, the real problem goes much deeper.
    I see the discrepancy with the legal but undemocratic stock market. We have a generation of "analysts" that only have loyalty to making money with money and a total disregard for people employed. We have a stock market where the participant is guilty until he can prove his innocence. We have hedge funds based solely on speculation regardless of the consequences. We have a situation where Google is worth more than companies employing hundred thousands of employees. We have major investments in american companies with foreign money. This is all legal and voted for by our elected officials on both sides of the aisles. Shareholder value has replaced common sense!
    The answer lies in the nature with which we do our business. As long as we can earn more investing in international money strategy, than in supporting companies employing people, we will harvest what we sow. When America wakes up to this, there is more at stake than Bach trumpets. It is still OUR decision.
    Spreading the wealth of the CEOs to others does not address the problem. Unions "protecting" wages do not solve the problem. The problem is solved by changing the mentality of making money with money and giving companies employing people market value. It need to be worthwhile to invest in America instead of dollars or euros!