Bach Strike

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NJtrpt, Dec 12, 2006.

1. NJtrpt

NJtrpt New Friend

Nov 16, 2006
    As I've been reading it sounds like the workers at the Bach plant have been on strike since early this year. In addition I've also heard that certain stores are having diffuculty in getting horns and parts. Does this mean that no production has happened since early 06?

My questions come from the fact that I am in the need of a new Bb trumpet and all of my horns to date are bach strads. Anyone know if the plant hired new or temp help. No How concerned should I be with getting a quality horn. No knock meant to any new help, however, nothing can replace experience in a production line (or any job for that matter).

Is this time to start considering other trumpet manufacturers, and if yes, any recommendations? I play a variety of gigs from church work, concert / jazz bands, brass choir and a rock band with horns. Looking for an all around good Bb.

Thanks for any info or advice.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Who knows, someone looking back 70 years from now may view our time as the "golden age" of trumpet manufacturing -- since pre- and post- WW2.

NJ, I think you may be right.

Regards,

Richard Oliver

P.S. There's a strong Eclipse contingent here whose opinions, after reading them for a couple of months and assessing their posts' tenor and content, and the posters' character -- as best one can in here -- have much impressed me.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    there are plenty of people out there to help answer your questions and point you in the right direction, Felix of NYTC, J.Duda of Calichio and Pick Music are just a couple of suggestions and there is also a couple of horn builders like R. Lawler who can assist you also but it comes down to playing multiple horns and seeing what works for you. Good luck and enjoy your search. Dave

4. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you are looking for something similar in general character and specs to a Bach (not necessarily identical in terms of sound, of course, though much better in terms of quality), Kanstul is one manufacturer to consider. He has horns which are roughly modelled on the Bach 37 (Kanstul 1500B), Bach 72 (Kanstul 1503, 1504 and 1600) and Bach 229 C (Kanstul 1510A) specs. Priscilla at PiCK Music could answer any questions you had.

I've played a Bach for over 20 years, and while I haven't replaced mine (I'm having it overhauled right now, in fact), for me the Kanstuls have come close (I own a 1600 Bb, and I have a 1510A C trumpet on order).

While I haven't played the newer Yamaha artist models yet, based on the various comments here and on the other trumpet forum it appears that Yamaha is closer than they have ever been to making lifelong "Bach-ophiles" happy and willing to switch.

And of course, as has been mentioned there are quite a few good horn builders doing some exciting things these days that it is worth trying as many different models and brands as possible.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  5. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I tried getting a bored out 1 1/4 C bach mouthpiece......it was almost impossibe to do so. Unless I were to buy a stock mp and find a shop with the proper machinery, it ouwl be 6 monthes to 2 year wait. Although, this is a custom mouthpiece. I'm pretty sure that Washington Music Center (Chuck Levins) still has a farely good selection of Strads.....
    http://www.washingtonmusic.com/

6. NJtrpt

NJtrpt New Friend

Nov 16, 2006
    All,
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I am new here, however, greatly enjoying all this site has to offer.

KJaeger,
    Interesting that you mention Kanstul. Im big into the Claude Gordon methodology and if I am not mistaken I believe that Kanstul built his CG mouthpieces and horns. Im going to try a few of them out....

JonathanShaw,
    I hear what you are saying about the issues of getting a mouthpiece drilled. I am fortunate enough to live 15 minutes away from Dillons Music in Woodbridge NJ. In addition to great horn work I had done there I already recently had my Back 3c opened up. You might want to consider buying a stock MP and mailing it to Dillions to be drilled. The work is quality and the timing might be better.

Paul

7. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I stopped in at Chuck's to see what they had. No shortage of Bach trumpets except the are out of new ML 37's and 229/25H C trumpets but have some used ones and also a lot of other models. One that got my interest were some ML 25 bell lightweight horns. They played really well. I bought a used L 25 that day because it was 30 years old and looked brand new. Would have bought the ML 25 if this one hadn't turned up.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you have a good Bach Bb now, a good overhaul may make it better than new! There are also various trumpet builders that modify them and take them to an even higher playing level (Spada in Switzerland for instance).

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    NJ-

I would caution against buying anything made by new or temp help at Bach for two reasons. The practical reason is that they'd all be new and even if they were as talented as the old workers, it would probably take an adjustment period before they started turning out the same quality instruments you expect from Bach. Secondly, and just as importantly, if you buy an instrument made by replacement workers, you're killing the guys on the picket line, guys who have worked their asses off making the instruments you love and are now fighting for their jobs. That would be enough for me not to buy Bach.

To answer your question, yes, it is time to consider other manufacturers. I've heard a lot of good things about the new Yamaha "Artist Model." Of course Monettes are great if you have the change and if you don't, there are more than enough people here to vouch for Eclipse.

One option you might check out is Ken Larson (www.brasswerks.com). He's the trumpet teacher at the Interlochen Arts Academy and before that a freelancer in L.A. (he played lead on Robin Hood Prince of Thieves). He worked with Bob Malone and has done some really excellent work. I have a C trumpet with a leadpipe, tuning slide and braces he designed and it plays great. It's even throughout all registers, plays in tune, great projection and has a really nice "ring" in the sound. You might think about shooting him an email about upgrading your current B-flat. You could probably get the thing overhauled with a new pipe and tuning slide for a lot less than you would pay for a Bach.

-Jimi