Bach T300.... student trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bridget1513, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Bridget1513

Bridget1513 New Friend

Apr 23, 2013
    Texas
    My daughter has a Bach t300 trumpet, we bought it used, and it is highly tarnished.... What is the best way to get her trumpet looking new and shiny, minus the tarnish? I have read several post about it, but didn't find an exact answer, I don't want to mess it up. Please help!

2. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    I'd start with a good polishing cloth and see how much tarnish you can get off that way.

3. Bridget1513

Bridget1513 New Friend

Apr 23, 2013
    Texas
    Any recommendations on the cloth? I do apologize, this is all new to me:oops:

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Blitz makes a cloth for valves and slides. It is treated so it will be a little messy. It will remove the tarnish but not the remaining lacquer. Brasso will work but will scratch both metal and lacquer because it's abrasive.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I have used Flitz liquid polish with great success. It is non-abrasive, and it works on all finishes, including silver and lacquer.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    If it's silver plated, Wrights silver polish works well. And use a cut up, old t-shirt to wipe it all off.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is what basiclly use - an old t-shirt and some Tarn-X.

Mike

8. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I was never a Marine, but I'm now "gung ho" on using these relatively new microfiber cloths for just about every cleaning / polishing task.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Bridget, if the trumpet is silverplated - rather than brass looking (lacquered) then there is an easy solution below - but ONLY if you are sure it is silverplated - the hot water will destroy the lacquer, but not silverplating .....

So, here you go ...

Remove the valves and set them aside - you don't want to get them wet - especially the felt bits.
    Wrap your silver trumpet in aluminum foil. Not too tight and use a lot of aluminum foil. A large surface area of the aluminum is good.
    Dissolve some sodium carbonate, or baking soda, (also known as Arm and Hammer All Natural Super Washing Soda in the US) in very hot tap water. (A couple of added tablespoons of de-ionized table salt helps too).
    Immerse the aluminum foil wrapped part completely in the solution and let it set until the water is cool. I let it go for 3 or more hours.
    Unwrap it and the silver should be clean. Use a new piece of aluminum foil to burnish away any tarnish remaining. Hold the part in the solution while burnishing.
    Rinse the part well under warm tap water. Dry completely and polish with a silver polishing cloth available at your local jewelery store.

DON'T USE ABRASIVES - please.

This works well too ........ get a large plastic storage box - not too deep about 150 mm (6 inches in the old money) - so that you can mix up enough "cleanin' juice" to cover your instrument. I've got one and have grafted a marine screw-in bilge drain into the end - that way, I can leave the whole thing on the floor on the shower overnight, remove the plug in the morning to drain, and rinse the trumpet under warm running water from the shower - otherwise that box of fluid is one awkward mongrel of a thing to empty. I then use the box to store all my cleaning gear between washes - mind you, I have 6 instruments to keep clean.

If you don't have enough "makings" to fill such a box, fill a couple of 1.25 coke bottles (or similar) with water and stick them in the box to take up the excess space.

Last edited: May 3, 2013