bach third slide stop rod

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Aug 9, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can anyone confirm how you fit the third slide stop rod on a strad, does it just screw in? the one i have had for some time does not seem to have a thread on the end that goes into the slide.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    There's a set screw in the bottom of the rod post that holds it in.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    not only does Dale know Cornets but ......:thumbsup:

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Whis type is yours:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

???

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My Bach cornet has one like that...:D

Seriously, though, I like Bach Instruments. I currently have 3 Strads...a '76 43 ML Strad Bb, an '83 239 ML Strad C, and a '93 184G L Strad cornet. Even though I talk Conn a lot, no Bach bashing from me.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Bach use a steel set screw which rusts and starts to turn black. When I do any work on a Strad I replace this with a Stainless Steel one which always looks much nicer.

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    +1. Never liked their stop rod style, which is:

[​IMG]

Reason one - as pointed out by Ivan.
    Reason 2 - if it get twisted or damaged in anyway it will obstruct the movement of the 2rd slide.

Which is why I love the fact, that spada puts the getzen style stop rods (the second pic on my previous posts, which are easily replaceable if faulty) on their strad conversions.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've always preferred the rod style over the thumbscrew stop, mainly because the thumbscrew isn't adjustible for throw length. The best setup, I think, is the old Conn one, where you have cushioned adjustible stops for both in and out. That pic by Trumpetnick is one of those long aftermarket "low F" rods, not a stock Bach one.

The Bach set screws I've seen have been black even when new. I'm guessing they have a black nitride finish. A stainless replacement would be nice, though.

Conn stop rod assembly
    [​IMG]

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Hey Dale,

How would you play those low Fs in Carmen Prologue and some R. Strauss pieces if you had to with that kind of stop? Of course, this is a cornet, but that's not what the question is about....

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't play that classical crap any more. Vintage Conn trumpets have the same setup, so it's not just a cornet thing. That said, it can be done by using both 1st and 3rd slides, and/or extending the "dump slide" on horns that have them. How would you do it on a horn with a Getzen style stop?