Bach TR711 Bb Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
  2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    How does that differ from your Bach TR710 (aside from the dent in the bell ;-) )?

I've learned that judging a trumpet by online specs and photos is not very helpful. Even 2 trumpets that are the same model can play differently in your hands.

3. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Very funny Asher :)

Where would you recommend to go to get a horn cheaper but still a quality product?

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I was only partially kidding- seriously though, how does the 711 differ from the 710?

To answer your question, in my 30+ years of (amateur) playing, I've never bought a new horn. I'm fortunate to live in a city with a rich musical culture, so I brought my mouthpiece to a local Rayburn's shop and asked the salesman to line up a bunch of used pro horns within my price range. He added a new Bach Strad to the lineup that included some Strads, a Yamaha, and one other horn (I forget what). I spent a good 30-40 minutes in their practice room doing a pseudo-blinded comparison and chose the ugliest silver Bach strad they had. It plays sooooo sweet. Had I just looked at online photos I would have passed over it from the get go.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    So used instruments are a better choice, so what could I get around a $300 price range?

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I suppose you could find a decent used student horn like a Bach TR300 (I once found a good one for $60...). Also consider an Olds Ambassador. I have a restored 1958 Olds Ambassador that plays better than the TR300, but that's my personal experience. Is there a local shop you can go to and check out used gear?

7. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Yeah but the local shop jacks up the prices a lot, a better bet would be finding a private seller through Craig's list or the newspaper or something like that.

Would a TR300 be able to get me through high school?

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Yes, the stores charge more than a private seller, but you can compare horns side by side, get a warranty of some sort, and you can establish a relationship to get good service (for example, if you drop your horn...).

Craig's List can be good, but people tend to misrepresent and overvalue their stuff, so check it out really well before you commit. You might save some money now, but it could cost you much, much more in the long run.

The TR300 is a better horn than the one I used as 1st trumpet all through high school, but that was a while ago. Demands might be different now.

9. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I see, this stuff is so complicated and you can get conned so easily! There should really be more honest people in the world.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If your serious about playing, get a better trumpet. Figure out a way to get the money.
    If you are just messing around in the band, fix the old one