Bach TR711 Bb Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I do not mess around in the band! I practice hard and I do the best I can with the trumpet I have. Unfortunately there really is no way for my family to come up with the $1000 you are saying for a Strad or something like that. But Thanks anyway...

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I think that's a tad harsh...

Watch the movie "CHOPS". The main kid featured who plays the trombone, T.J. Norris (I think) plays an Olds trombone, and I'm pretty sure there's a dent in the tuning slide. I think Wynton gave him one of the soloing awards at Essentially Ellington at Lincoln Center. That kid had a very mature practicing philosophy.

Finer horns can wait until one has the means. There's nothing wrong with practicing hard with a decent student trumpet.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It makes no sense to buy a 711 for $300 when a 710 can be fixed for $100. The chance of something being that much better on a student horn is too low.

If you read some of the posts in the horn forum, you realize that you are taking a chance buying from a stranger. As you do not have a lot of cash, I would just get the old horn fixed, start saving, and if when you are a junior you are still interested, then you could have perhaps $500 saved and get a used Yamaha 6xxx or comparable "professional" model. You would have more chops, a better feel for what is out there through research and could therefore make a better decision.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It's not harsh at all. In my opinion if he is serious about the trumpet and have been playing for 3 years, that trumpet isn't going to work well for him soon. If he isn't going to go past his current level, keep the same trumpet.

I'm sick of getting yelled at. I give my advice and try to help and get a mean response back. It's not right. My years and level of playing should count for something. I keep getting sucked into this stuff. I'm not going to answer unless the person asking has a history on the board. Maybe 100 posts or more.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Keep your trumpet with the dent.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    "Yelled at"??? Who was yelling? I was just disagreeing with you. Did all your years also teach you how to communicate maturely rather than storm off like a disgruntled child? Chill out, man.

I still think it is a bit bold to be telling a high school student with limited funds that he can't be serious about music unless he shells out for an expensive horn, right now.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

This was the post that yelled at me from the original poster

"I do not mess around in the band! I practice hard and I do the best I can with the trumpet I have. Unfortunately there really is no way for my family to come up with the $1000 you are saying for a Strad or something like that. But Thanks anyway..."

I never said that he had to have a new trumpet to be good.

Now I'm going to go off like a child and earn some money instead of being on this stupid forum.

Bye!

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey ap001,

Do you have a teacher? If so, why not ask his/her advice concerning all this - the dent, a new horn, a used horn, where to buy, etc. No one can give you better guidance than that person.

If you do not have a teacher, and I mean someone who gives you lessons all by yourself, not in a class at school, then take the $ you want to spend on dent removal or another horn and find someone to give you private and personal lessons.