Bach Vindabona

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by caman, Aug 11, 2008.

1. caman

caman New Friend

Jul 7, 2008
    Can anyone give me any info on the Bach Strad Vindabona gold brass bell-72GH 43 leadpipe-trumpet? Are there any floating around out there. laquer or raw brass?

Thanks

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Word on the street has it they take a lot of energy to play, and that a good rotary has all the good qualities of the Vindabona (only more so!) and is easier to play.

3. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    Second best horn I've ever played was an old Vindabona lacquer from around 1955 - 60. Easy response, great intonation - almost as good as my '72 Selmer Radial

4. caman

caman New Friend

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, and I appreciate them. I am looking to hear from some of you TM's like Buc, that have actually played this horn. (Bach Vindabona)

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    rowuk played one and had nice things to say on another thread. I think it might have been his first pro-horn experience if I remember correctly. You might PM him and ask for more info. I had never heard of the horn till he mentioned it.

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I use a Vindabona 65 Gold Brass Bell.

Best Bb horn I have ever played. No it is not more work/effort than any other Bb.

If anything relaxing yields better response even at louder dynamic levels.

Our local store had several of these ordered a few years ago as I really liked them and they went very quickly. 12 horns in two weeks.

I would think the 72 Bell would be fine as well.

Bill Dishman
    Gaineville, Florida

7. caman

caman New Friend

Jul 7, 2008
    I went ahead and bought one in raw brass with the gold brass bell it's referred to with a 43 leadpipe, 72 bell, what a babe. Definitely room to grow into.

Thanks for the responses.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A real Vindabona is a medium bore instrument if I remember correctly. I don't recall it having a 72 bell or 43 leadpipe though. Are you really sure that this is a Vindabona? I liked the one that I played because it felt more like a cornet with MUCH more color at medium and soft volumes.

9. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    I have a 1966 Bach Vindabona that's a real peach. A great playing instrument-- mine has the 72 bell. I recently had it completely reconditioned by brass guru Charlie Melk a Charlie's Brassworks in Wisconsin, including redoing the valves. Now it's like a brand new horn-- from 1966! Charlie measured the leadpipe (original of course) and it didn't really measure out like any of the "standard" Bach leadpipes of today. I thought it would just be a 43 but I guess the trumpets made at this time were unique-- this horn was made just as the then new facility in Elkhart opened and it's probably as much like a Mt.Vernon era horn as you can get without actually being a Mt.Vernon. Other comments are correct as to the playing characteristics. The step bore does indeed make it more cornet-like. A big dark sound and very easy to play. It's the ultimate symphonic and/or solo, small group jazz combo instrument. I believe Wynton played a Vindabona before losing it and going to Monette (just kidding!).

I spent a lot of money on this Vindabona ($975 alone just in the complete overhaul by Charlie Melk not to mention the $1000 I originally paid for it) but unfortunatly I'm mainly playing in big band settings where I need a brighter type horn to compete with the psychos with their 14A4a's and bright (read-obnoxious) lead type horns so I'm looking to sell this great old (new) '66 Vindabona. Drop me a line if you're interested! I currently have it listed on that other trumpet site marketplace (Trumpet Herald).

10. caman

caman New Friend

Jul 7, 2008
    I am perfectly happy with the one I have 43 lead pipe, 72 gold brass bell. However, I do also own a Silver 180/37 Bach Strad I'll trade you if you need something brighter.