Bach Vindabona

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by caman, Aug 11, 2008.

1. caman

caman New Friend

Jul 7, 2008
    Also, Rowuk I can let you see a copy of the reciept from the factory to help you with your doubts about an original Vindabona. You know, Bach did some extraordinary things when they manufacturered thier trumpet line. Ponder.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Caman,
    if you are happy then I am too. I tried one over 25 years ago, that is why the details are not so clear anymore. I would just hate to see somebody get ripped off.
    I agree, Bach did some extraordinary things. Looking at my C trumpet, more attention to "standard things" wouldn't have been a bad practice either!

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The Bach Vindabona's leadpipe was a medium bore and the rest of the horn was a medium large bore with a 43 or 72 gold brass bell (larger that the 37 srandard bell). It was originally designed to be a very dark horn for playing Wagner, etc. They play very nice. They will never play with edge or bite so in a large ensemble they might be more work to be heard.

Bob G

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually the only difference in the Vindabona is the top "leg" of the tuning slide. The bore of that slide leg is .453 and the bottom leg .459. It's a common misconception that the leadpipe or actual bore of the valveset is changed.

I've played lead on a 65G and it worked fine. I've never seen a MLV 43 bell, I bet that would be an interesting combination! I think the standard MLV set up is a 72 Bell with a 25-0 leadpipe. I had a 65G with a 44 (nickel silver) leadpipe.

While I probably would have "cut" more on a Calicchio or other "bright" horn the trumpet will pretty much sound whatever way you want it to, given adequate practice and sound models. It's kinda like when I said my horn didn't work well and CT grabbed my trumpet... he sounded just like CT and the horn worked great! :) I'm finally figuring that out after all these years.

I loved Wynton's sound on his 65G/44 leadpipe combo!

5. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    Caman,

I know of a beauty of a Vindabona for sale at a local music shop. PM me if you'd like the contact information.

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I second Bonasa, I've seen, played, and inspected the horn...gorgeous. Near perfect lacquer, great horn.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I never played a Vindabona, and I am a little confused...what's the difference with a standard 72 or 43 strad?

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I am pretty sure it is the difference with the tuning slide. It is not confirmed but the Vindabona may have the same leadpipe as the standard Bach or may have a different to accompany it.

Essentially, its a trumpet with a tuning slide that starts at a .453'' bore expands to .460'' bore (a step bore), often paired with a 72 bell. Blows different. Sounds different according to players. Usually referred as a MLV bore horn, notice the V. :-) Hope I helped.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I saw on some internet description, saying that it was dual bore, the difference achieved between the leadpipe and till the entry of the valve casing (3rd piston). Yep I get it, probably more cornettish kind of feel. If I understand well, the valve cluster is just the same. It was just curiosity, my Spada modular trumpet (mostly bach parts) ML bore is just fine for most of my playing, though in commercial it lacks probably a bit of edge, though nothing that cannot be managed.

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    A Bach Vindobona has a standard 25 pipe, a telescoping tuning slide beginning at .453 and ending at .459. It is a medium large bore (.459) and comes standard with a 72 bell.
    The Vindobona I played for 5 years before I bought my B1, had a 43 bell. It played very well and played nothing like a cornet. The 72 bell Vindobona I tried played slight more diffuse than the 43. Again, nothing like any cornet I've played.
    In the right hands, a Vindobona is a terrific trumpet.
    Rich T.