Bach's Mercedes, Omega trumpets... Are these student horns or are they intermediate?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunflowergirlntx, Dec 15, 2011.

1. sunflowergirlntx

sunflowergirlntx New Friend

Aug 29, 2008
    Hello :) My son is begging me for a new trumpet.
    He wants a BACH silver intermediate trumpet.

I'm a single mom and disabled too so I can't afford
    what I would like to get him.

I've looked on Ebay and found several new Prelude's
    that are pretty cheap, and they are student trumpets.

What about the Bach Mercedes and Omega? Are these
    student trumpets?

On the Bach website it only lists 3 trumpets as
    student trumpets, (the TR 500, TR 600 and TR 300H2)...
    ...and lists only 2 intermediate trumpets (The TR 200 and TR 200S).

But it doesn't say anything about the trumpets with names like Mercedes and Omega.

I just figure he would be happier with a NEW student trumpet than a used intermediate.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Blessings to all.

2. sunflowergirlntx

Aug 29, 2008
    Re: Bach's Mercedes, Omega trumpets... Are these student horns or are they intermedi

Now I ran across a Bach 37 and 1843. I am soooo confused.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Re: Bach's Mercedes, Omega trumpets... Are these student horns or are they intermedi

If he is concerned about aesthetics, a new student horn may be the better choice. However, a used intermediate would be best if you're looking for longer term, IMO.
    The Bach 37 is a Stradivarius (pro horn) with a 37 bell. I don't know about the 1843.

I don't suggest the Preludes, my personal opinion on them. The TR models do fine.

The following site says some things about Mercedes and Omega. Both seem to be of decent quality, perhaps higher end student horns. They are different "brands" of Bach:

BachLoyalist.com - Trumpet Brands

Hope this proves to be helpful!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

I suggest a TR200, or a Mercury, if they are within your price range. You may want to have your son try all trumpets mentioned previously. I personally have good experience with these two types.
    You could also look into Yamaha's YTR-4335. I know some people that enjoy this.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio

The earlier omega's were pretty good, used Strad parts in them. They discontinued them because they were taking too much from the Strad's sales wise. they're considered intermeadiates, but are somewhat better than that. that 1843 is probably a typo, lister dropped a 0. More than likely a 180-43, a Strad with the no. 43 bell shape as opposed to a 180-37, the most standard bell shape.
    My LTD-1 Artist is based on the Omega and is a pretty good horn.......Buck:oops:

6. sunflowergirlntx

Aug 29, 2008

Hi Buck thanks! I wonder about what year they stopped making the better omegas?

7. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia

Sunflower,

You might want to take a look at this site:

http://www.quality-brass.com/webstore/Items24_list_Trumpet-Bach_1.html

While it won't answer questions about when Omegas were produced, it will give you a look at a lot of different Bach prices. Fred (the owner) is a very fair and honest man, and i wouldn't hesitate to buy from him!

Good luck in your search!

Bill

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land

A quick google search suggests 1843 is the model of the trumpet case. Can anybody confirm that? It looks like mine, but I don't ever recall seeing a number associated with it. As Mark says, the Bach 37 would be the pro model Bach Stradivarius with a 37 bell which is a great horn if it's in good shape.

--bumblebee

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

If you can get a Bach Mercedes from Mt. Vernon then it is the same as a Mt. Vernon strad but it says Mercedes. Omegas are good, very close to a strad with some good engraving. A 180-43 is a strad with a 43 bell, the brightest strad.

What is your budget and maybe we can help you a little more.

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I think that she meant 18043, implying that it is a strad trumpet. But I could be wrong.