Back after a 10 year break! Whew

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet9969, Dec 23, 2009.

1. trumpet9969

trumpet9969 New Friend

Dec 23, 2009
    Hey there,

I just stumbled across your forum and it looks like you guys have some valuable information here. I hope to be able to contribute as well as learn some new things.

I do have a question, which I have a feeling I know what some of you guys will recommend as well.

I studied about 12-13 years classical and then took a 10 year break. I used to do the old 2 hour a day practice deal.

I'm pretty much going to be goofing off now, no lessons, probably no classical, just fun stuff. :) ( maybe a few classical songs that I like)

Now, here is the question. Do you recommend staying in the lower register for a week or so before jumping over, say a middle G, just to get the lips back in order, or start running some scales from the get go?

I have never taken a long break when I use to play, so I'm not sure if it damages the muscles jumping back in and pushing that hard.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are careful not to beat yourself up, you can start playing high immediately. Just keep most of your playing in the lower register to build power. If you listen to your body, it will keep you informed.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Listening to your body is great, as Rowuk has suggested.

Listening to your tone is also a good measure -- if your tone at any point starts sounding thin and strained and forced, then back off, either volume-wise or range-wise.

Being sensitive to all those things is very important, as well as being patient. If you do try to strain too high or too loud too soon you can seriously harm your muscles. But certainly playing higher than middle G (I assume by that you mean 2nd-line G on the staff) is fine -- I have many beginning trumpet students playing the 3rd-space C at their first lesson.

One important thing is to not compare your playing these days with what you remember of your playing from 10 years ago and get frustrated at how long it might take you to get back to that level of playing. Take your current level of trumpet playing for what it is and enjoy it as it slowly improves.

4. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Don't use your chops by closing them down or pinching to get to the upper register notes. You can play extreme "whisper" tones to develop a small aperture that isn't tight and pinched... this will help you control things as you speed up the air to ascend into the upper register.

As Rowuk said, listen to your body! When it's tired - stop!

Keith Fiala

5. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    I'm coming back after a long break too.

There is good advice above. Look at this as a chance to break old bad habits. You don't have any gigs putting demands on you for range or endurance. Play as high as you can comfortably and stop when you feel yourself using pressure or choking up.