Back from Hospital: Collapsed Lung

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Pneumothorax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had a Pneumothorax occur Thursday night. Just got home from the hospital after a few days of morphine and chest tubing. I'm supposed to be off the horn for a few weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with collapsed lungs and returning to trumpet playing? Or know anybody?

Suggestions for what to practice until I get to play again? I'll be brushing up on my piano chops and practicing clapping rhythms, I suppose.

I have a $25 gift card for the nearest mall and a week off school. Recommended reading? Jazz biographies, history, etc.

Thanks guys. Hopefully this doesn't happen again and I can keep playing. Life changing experience. :play:

2. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Sorry I don't know anything, but I really hope you make a full recovery!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would recommend Song and Wind by Arnold Jacobs. He was the tuba player from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, had something that only gave him the equivalent of one lung. He still was able to fill the part for many years.

Welcome to WindSong Press

I have no commercial interests, this is just one incredible book!

4. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    I had a collapsed lung in the early '80s due to complications from pneumonia. I'm sure treatment procedures are much better these days if your doctor will let you get back on the horn in a few weeks. It took me over 6 months to recover and was the major reason I quit playing professionally... I needed to eat and pay bills! Good luck on your recovery. Take it slow when you get back to playing.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Our drum major captain had this happen to her on thursday too, hope you make full recovery!

6. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah, it'll finally keep me completely in line with keeping Rowuk's advice of soft and low. It gives me an excuse to stay out of band for a while. Hopefully when I come out of recovery, my range will be a little bit better. I'll stay in the staff and work on fingers and flexibility.

:thumbsup:

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    "Trumpet Blues" about Harry James is a good read.

"Bunny Berigan: Elusive Legend Of Jazz" is another good read.

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    For an exercise routine I will suggest swimming. Do the Australian crawl and breath on every third stroke. Every third stroke makes you breath left and right. Take it easy and rest every length of the pool until you can make a full lap up and back. Then do what you want from there. Be sure to tell the life guard why you are swimming so they can keep an eye on you.
    If after a month or so ask your doctor to clear you to swim under water. Try to make it the length of the pool on one breath under water.

I will suggest making an 8 foot hosaphone and practice long tones. You can breath freely and stay relaxed.

Maynard Ferguson's biography is a good read, "M.F. Horn."

"Trumpet Kings" is ok.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Sorry to hear of your condition. Lots of creative suggestions have been made. Use your time off wisely and make a positive of the current playing status negative.:thumbsup:

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is good advice, IMHO - if you are not into swimming though, you could get yourself to a 1 metre (deep) pool and stride through the water gradually getting more energetic as you get better - this is a great exercise for endurance and breath control. I do my circular breathing exercises while I mindlessly wander up and down the pool - I'm striding because of lower back damage and for general fitness, but I have been astounded to discover that you can sweat quite a lot when striding through water. The whole process has to be good for you, and often the view is quite fine, too. :thumbsup: