Back from Hospital: Collapsed Lung

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I don't know anything specific about a collapsed lung, but from my own experiance with other health issues, I'd suggest being very conservative with the timeline for when you start playing again. Your doctor should be able to tell you when you are ready for excersize and other normal exertions, and if it were me, I wouldn't jump into trumpet playing until you're sure you're 100% healed. You don't want to risk hurting yourself, another week or two off the horn won't make much difference in the long run, and restarting your trumpet playing is easier when you're fully healthy.

Last year, I think I set myself back for awhile be starting to practice before my whole body was really ready for it. My layoff was MUCH longer, so it may not be an issue for you, but a little caution can be better in the long run.

2. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Hope you make a full recovery

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't have any suggestions, other than to take care of your health first, and then follow the advice to take it slow getting back into it. Here's hoping for a rapid and complete recovery :thumbsup:

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I had a lung infection two years ago.
    In order to esatblish what caused it,
    3 pieces of tissue were taken from
    my lungs at the hospital.
    I left the hospital three days later,
    which prooves that your lungs do
    repair themselves quickly enough . . .

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    See ... Sofus .... you have to use microfibre to clean your horn, not tissues - they just get sucked in anywhere, and they destroy a good black tee shirt in the washing machine too. ROFL

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    What ever did I do to earn this much empathy, Ted?

:grouphug:

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Another thing, Ted;

since a thing like that could happen to YOU
    as well as actually kill you, I wrote this poem
    especially for you, just in case:

I shall miss you
    if the issue
    about tissue
    is ┬┤bout YOU!

How do you like that!?!
    NOT BAD, HUH?!?

:cool:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well Sofus (he says with hands on hips), you didn't say LUNG tissue.

I have re-read all the posts and I still wouldn't clean my horn with tissues, I'm sorry about the surgical loss of your LUNG tissue, I'm pleased that there is no permanent damage, and as to why you deserve such empathy - well it's just that I'm such a nice bloke (mostly), and you are one of the valuable people in my small trumpetting world - 'cause I so enjoy your posts, and I learn stuff too. (And my kids have told me to play nicely). :cool: Nice poem too - ta.

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Way long ago, when I was in my car wreck, along with every other damage possible to a human being, I had a punctured lung. Doctors advice was to go swimming and work one of those breathing machine thingys (sorry, forgot the name). Two months or so after I was released from the hospital, things were great.

10. ds

ds New Friend

Oct 2, 2005
    Edison, NJ
    Hope you have a full and speedy recovery. It has been my own practice to pretty much double what ever time the doctors give you for recovery, as usually they have no idea at all about the compression we use when we play. Just make sure you are in the best possible physical shape when you go back, and you should be fine. Good luck!!!