Back in the Game!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PrettyT, Feb 8, 2007.

1. PrettyT

PrettyT New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    I blew my first note today after 3 years!!! I was so embarrased at the music store when I was testing out different horns. My articulation was poor, couldn't slur worth a damn, everytime I tongued I would lose my note, and I sounded horrible. I eventually asked if I could go to the bathroom with the horns for more privacy.. They happily agreed lol. The basics soon came back to me though. I ended up getting the calicchio. Doesn't look the best, but it has a beautiful sound, and its very comfortable. Going to pick up an Arbans this weekend if I can get a day off.Everything closes so damn early in hawaii . The goal is to take these next few months and make them eqaul to all the years I spent getting no where.. Then after that to take a turn on skill building.

So if anyone has any recommending reading, or Method Books, please give me some feedback =D.

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Welcome back!!

As an alternative and providing you're not a beginner Allen Vizzutti has a series of 3 books for intermediate/advanced players that takes all the elements of the great methods like Arbans, Clarke etc and puts his own unique spin on them. It also saves you having drawers and drawers full of (admittedly wonderful) books.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Trevor

3. PrettyT

PrettyT New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    nvm

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Hello from Hawaii,

Congrats on picking back up the horn!

I'm a "combacker" too.

Eric Bolivn has a great primer for Arban's called "The Arban's Method." Takes you through it in a year and a quarter.

http://www.bolvinmusic.com/publications5.html

I'm using it.

Also Clarke's "Technical Studies."

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver

p.s. WOOT! on getting a new horn :-)

5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Welcome back to fun!

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I vote for the Vizzutti books.

Pick up Earl Irons "lip flexibilities" and honk on it for a couple of months.

7. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX

These three Vizzutti books are the best things I ever bought 15 years ago. They also have some duets in them once you are a little further along. I recently recorded myself playing the top lines and then dubbed myself over that playing the bottom lines. That really opened my eyes to what the guy sitting next to me at gigs hears and just how hard/easy I make it for people to play with me in a section. Welcome back to the enjoyment and torment of trumpet playing.