Back in the saddle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nadelcpa, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Nadelcpa

Nadelcpa New Friend

Jun 7, 2007
    I played every day 4-5 hours for years and years. Gave it up - for good - long time ago - too many reasons to share now, but suffice it to say - no good ones!

Was asked to perform - classical, nothing too technical and began practicing 1 hr or so per day - Little Arban, a little Clark - scales, etc

I find that it is not organic as it once was - I have lost much in the last 25 years of not playing.

Now that I don't need the money - I would love to get back at it - how long does it take to really play the way I once did 25 years ago? Does anyone have a similar experience?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I did not play for 25 years too.

At the end of 3 months of daily practice of an hour+ per day, I played well during Easter Mass a couple years ago-- baroque pieces with organ (in C concert rather than D) and accompanied the choir.

Since then I've kept at it, and 15 months have passed.

It is very easy to measure the "now" by the "then." I guess after Easter, I became happy that I had progressed well. That's when I quit measuring.

Now I'm working on fundamentals that "then" I had not mastered. It's very much like being a student again.

I like it.