Back to Square One

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 6, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Oddly enough, my second question was going to be if your mouthpiece was fairly shallow which, obviously, it is. It has to be; you have to get through your gigs so you can enjoy them and not wory. For what it's worth, when you start to get things together the way you want practice-wise, I recommend the BLD4 for that kind of playing. I used one for that 70's gig and it made the difference between sweating the licks and enjoying them. Just a suggestion, Patrick, you know me.

ML

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The B4LD - Ok, I'm interested. What can you tell me about it, or more to the point, is it wide, shallow, narrow, etc. I just looked at the Monette site and it says that it is similar to the B4L, which Joey Tartell plays.

How would these compare to my 14A4?

3. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Uhhh... I'm not sure.:oops:

Again, for what it's worth, I used to use the 14A4 when I was in high school for jazz band, so, I'm thinking it must be similar if I like it.

Like I said,"you know me" and that just means I don't know much at all about equipment specifics, just general terms. My recommendation? This summer when things are a little down in your schedule, pack up the family and go out to Portland and have a little fun. That'll give you time to get the parts of your playing that you're curently working on to gel. You may even, by that time, decide that you've found something else that you like just fine!

Maybe someone else knows more about sizings and things that would be more helpful than I.

ML

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Patrick,

You went from a Bach Strad with the double braces and 'D' tuning slide to a B6 which has no braces on the tuning end of the slide and has a nearly round tuning slide. It that correct? Its no surprise that you sometimes hit the wrong partial. I experienced this when I switched from a braced D slide to a braceless, larger bore round slide.

The slotting is opened up and you are just noticing it. I'm guessing you're overshooting when you miss, correct?

my 2c

Greg

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No, I miss both directions. Equal opportunity and all that. :D

Actually, all joking aside, I probably overshoot more than undershoot.

Manny, I'll look into the B4LD and see what's it's about. I don't know if it's my teeth, my chops, how I play or what, but I can only go so narrow before I can't play it anymore. I appreciate the suggestion.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, NOW I gotcha...

In that case, no you won't find it to be narrow. I don't like that either. I had Doc toot on it and he loved the rim, so, who knows? You might like it as well as we do.

ML

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Question: How accurate is the Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator?

I just checked out the two, and they seem to be pretty close, although I think that the Monette has 26 throat instead of a 27. It also seems to be a little bit more V shaped. I'll have to give it a serious look.

THANKS MANNY! :-)

8. joey

joey Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Bloomington
    B4L

Patrick,

As far as mouthpiece choice goes, Manny is correct in that there is no substitute for being able to try out a bunch of things.

The B4L is most similar to a Bach 3D. Please take this as only a reference to size. Just because it is similar in size to a 3D does not mean it plays just like it.

The B4LD is a slightly deeper version of the B4L. So, purely in size, it is most similar to a slightly deeper, slightly wider Bach 3D.

Again, I can't over-stress that the 3D reference is just for a relative size, not playability. I've played a Bach 3D, and much prefer the B4L.

Joey

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Update

Joey, Manny, thanks for the mouthpiece tips. At the moment, the Schilke 14A4 seems to be doing the trick, but I'm open to suggestion - getting my WIFE to be open to suggestion is another matter entirely! :-)

Ok, here is an update to where I am currently with all of this:

I have disciplined myself to getting into the practice room and over the last several weeks, my practicing has become more consistent than it has been in a loooooooong time. I have read somewhere that consistency in your practice can lead to greater and faster improvement and there is certainly something to that.

The last couple of gigs I had, not only did I play well, but I had chops left over at the end of the night. My accuracy still leaves some to be desired, but my range and endurance have been greatly improved. I had posted shortly after acquiring the Schilke B6 that I was having some intonation issues with it. Not only do I no longer have intonation issues with the B6, but in general, my intonation is MUCH better than it was while playing on the LB Bach. I tried to play the Bach the other day and I put it back in the case after just a short time. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this trumpet now because I don't think that I will get to a point where I want to use it for anything again. The B6 is even good for legit music with the right mouthpiece. The copper bell gives it a smooth dark sound with a 3C mouthpiece and you aren't giving it the gas with a lead piece.

My practice routine has opened up too. I am no longer just playing basics out of my head (although I do still do that) but I have incorporated some things out of the Arban's book, and Clarke Technical and Charateristic studies, as well as pulling out some old solo repertoire that I have performed in the past. This practice has exposed some other fundamentals that I need to work a little harder such as flexibilites and I really need to do exercises that work my third finger.

So, that's the update. Thanks for all of the support and advice that you guys have given to me. I'm spoiled. I should have to PAY for this stuff!

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'll confidently speak for Joey and say what I believe he would in this internet forum context: your continued success and the success of others that benefit from our experiences is payment enough.

ML