Back up plans.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    When you guys were 16 and I'm sure very keen Trunpet players, did you have a back up plan for music?
    I'm planning on jointing the (British) Army as a musician but I don't think I have a back up! Music is a risky business! Haha
    What kinda standard were you guys at 16? Did you always want to per sue in trumpet playing?

Jack

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jack, my back up plan was being a musician. It worked out well as it feeds my addiction for music (and buying horns... as even we physicians are not immune from the N + 1 virus).

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Standard? I was into classical music, taking lessons at Cincinnati's College Conservatory of Music. I entered nearly every solo and ensemble known to man (in the state of Ohio). Kept me on my toes and ready to go for college. When in college, a chemistry major at University of Cincinnati was just too much so I just audited music courses at UC but worked very hard at it, which got me to the level I am today.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way... if I could have done it differently, I would have played on an Eclipse.

Count... one... two... three...

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    At sixteen I starting working on range (stupid) got to the famed DHC and wanted to play lead in a traveling big band. My back up plan was to become a school music teacher. I'm grateful neither of those happened.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Jack, only 4 words of advice from me. Royal Marine Band Service!

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi jack,
    You asked:
    "When you guys were 16 and I'm sure very keen Trunpet players, did you have a back up plan for music?
    ------
    At 16? Nope. My goal was to go to Berklee, get in a big band and retire as the lead trumpet on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show Band
    ------
    I'm planning on jointing the (British) Army as a musician but I don't think I have a back up! Music is a risky business! Haha
    -------
    Everything is a risky business in today's economy. Learn to save and invest.
    ------
    What kinda standard were you guys at 16?
    -----
    I was playing Maynard Ferguson solo parts (as written) usually out of 32 songs, 15 to 17 would be MF songs. We once played three performances in one day.
    -----
    Did you always want to per sue in trumpet playing?
    -----
    Once I got addicted, there was no other choice.
    Here's an idea. Your backup does not have to be that removed from what you want. Become a music educator. There will come a time when you probably won't be able to perform up to the standard you wish. By becoming an educator, you can do some good before you go.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What!!! Not "buy yourself an Eclipse"! Somebody is softening on the brand me thinks. Speaking of soft, Kanstul makes a great Copper Belled Flugelhorn.

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not sure you will find anything useful in this reply, young Jack, so take it for what it is worth. When I was 16 in the late 1960s my days were filled with girls, trumpet, athletics, and cars...oh, and school too! I was not thinking too far down the road and, like most teens, pretty much considered myself invincible and immortal. When I was 17 I met the pretty little gal that a few years later became my wife; we have been married now for nearly 41 years. I got more serious about life after meeting her and graduating from high school. I was an accomplished high school musician. I had won several state-level awards and had been a performing member of several city-wide honors bands and orchestras, but I was probably not as accomplished as some of the prior posters. My first ambition was to be a trumpet performance major at Indiana University. My backup plan was to become a building construction professional. As I recall, there appeared to me to be more opportunity in building construction. The odds of a youngster from a medium size mid-western U.S. city making it as a trumpet performer without much of a music performance personal network seemed slim - remember, this was decades before the internet or even a dream of something like TM. Anyway, I had a fulfilling career in building construction and have no professional regrets. What I lacked concerning pursuit of a career as a trumpet performer was insight, confidence, commitment, and, probably, talent. If a career as a trumpet performer is truly your ambition, I believe you need maturity sufficient to help you understand what you are up against, fierce single-minded commitment to your ambition, adequate talent, and acceptance of the lifestyle. Best wishes to you as you sort things out; a process that is seldom quick or particularly clear for any young person.

Jim

10. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    When I was 16 I was just playing in HS, loving marching band. We played some great jazz and Blue Devils charts (played Nutville one year). I was hoping to get into Drum Corps but many things changed that year, with one of my sisters dying from CF. A few years later I gave up playing and went into computers.

Fast forward 25+ years and my son started playing and I've fallen in love with my horn again. I'm playing better than ever now, mostly because Ive got more wisdom and the maturity to see that it takes a lot of work. Having a backup plan isn't a bad thing, or giving up. Just keep playing your horn but learn to do something that can earn you money in case it doesn't work out.

Mark