Backing out of a gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acmilan629, Apr 1, 2014.

1. acmilan629

acmilan629 New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbus, OH/Buffalo, NY
    For Easter I was offered a gig (in February) that paid $125 and I had said yes to it but today (April 1) was offered another from an old teacher that pays significantly more. What is the most tactful way of backing out of the former?

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ..and today's prize for asking the wrong question goes to......

3. acmilan629

acmilan629 New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbus, OH/Buffalo, NY
    Yea I know, I already feel terrible, but I can't say no

4. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    What I would do is this-try to find a good sub, not just anybody but someone else that will do a good job covering the gig you originally took. If you find that person, then speak with the original guy who hired you and ask if he's ok with the other player doing the gig. If they're not, or you can't find a suitable sub, then I would do the first gig even though the money is less. It's generally thought that if you sub out of a gig that you give them at least a couple of weeks notice. Your word as a professional is more important than the extra money-you don't want to be branded as unprofessional or unreliable. In addition, it's the right way to handle it. If they are ok with the switch then I'm sure they will appreciate your consideration. Besides, you wouldn't want them to decide to hire a better trumpet player a few days before the gig after you reserved the date in your calendar, right? :)

5. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    I am sure many of us here on TM have probably had the same sort of offers at some time over the years. It's a bit more than just a moral or ethics issue......once you go down that road here in the UK (US??) a musician gets a bad reputation......But Fast!.....I am really surprised your teacher even offers you the gig if he/she knows you are already booked!..........I rest my case M'lud

Experience teaches only the teachable......Aldous Huxley

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You keep the gig you accepted.

Period.

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I had the same thing happen this year. I politely told the contact for the second gig that unfortunately I was already booked, but I would be pleased if they call me for any future needs. It's the best thing to do, and the easiest way to keep a good reputation. The second church will call again, as I have worked for them before. The higher-paying gigs always keep calling when your reputation is good.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yep. Money isn't everything, and you'll do more monetary damage to yourself over the long run if you bail out on this gig at this late date if word gets out that you bailed on one gig to take another for more money. It's one thing to back out of taking the gig in the first place, and something totally different to bail out once you've confirmed.

I was recently offered an Easter gig that I just didn't feel I could take due to some personal circumstances, and the fact that it was 6 services spanning 3 days. It's just more of a time commitment than I felt I could reasonably handle this year, so I politely declined and pointed the music director in the direction of some other folks I know who might be interested in it.

I sincerely hope you honor the initial gig commitment you made.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Reliability is one of the most important assets a professional must have.

In this case, from the first booker - he has you booked and you back out for self-serving reasons? I likely wouldn't call you again.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This close to Easter is a bit late to be looking for a trumpet player.