Backing out of a gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acmilan629, Apr 1, 2014.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd be interested to hear why you say you can't say no. You mentioned it pays more.. that in itself isn't a good reason to back out of the first; but if you're incredibly broke and this means the difference between paying rent, or not, I can understand the dilemma.

He's a former teacher; do you feel that obligated?

Maybe we, here on TM, can help you find a sub? I notice from you're profile, you're either in Columbus or Buffalo.

Backing out, if you've found a good sub, is OK... just make sure s/he can do the job.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi acmilan,
    What you are looking for are some words to help make you feel better. I think I can help!!
    Here goes!!!
    1. You're a minor so you can not be held to a contract.
    2. Your trumpet playing should not be taken seriously so any agreement to play must be a joke. Seriously, it must be a joke.
    3. Your reputation is based on making more money!! This is America damn it and if people don't understand that, then they need to wake up and smell the coffee!!
    4. My old teacher always liked me eventhough I wasn't very good on the trumpet and my fundimental character lacked the ability to know basic right from wrong.
    5. My delusional thoughts about how I sound on the trumpet far outweigh the act of ripping off people and not to put too fine of a point on things but, these people need to be excited that I even talk to them.
    6. Wynton polishes my horn.
    7. With practice, Alison Balsom will be as good as me someday. Of course hell will freeze over before that happens.
    ---
    Whew!
    Now I'm sure you feel better. I know I do!
    ---
    My turn:
    If you were my kid, then as your parent you'd be doing the right thing "and" would have to suffer through a long speech as to why this type of behavior (and thinking) are wrong.
    If you are an adult, I hope you become part of the legal ramifications of being an opportunistic ass at the cost of others..
    ---
    I once gave up a offer to do a very high paying performance to play trumpet at my daughter's preschool performance. Why? Because I gave my word.
    Have a nice day!
    Dr.Mark

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I love it when players back out and I get to sub. In most cases I can play as well or better than the original player and I've often been able to take over their gigs.

Mwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa

In all seriousness, I've gotten a lot of gigs this way. Come in at the last minute and play great, and you're the hero.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Happened here too.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    You stated:
    "I love it when players back out and I get to sub. In most cases I can play as well or better than the original player and I've often been able to take over their gigs."
    --
    How true!! This has happened to me before and while I feel bad that the organization starts calling me instead of the initial person after hearing me perform, I also know that a person/organization can hire who they wish for entertainment.
    Dr.Mark

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IF ... I'll have papered the contract / commitment. No valid signatures in agreement as to time, place, and rate I'll be paid and by whom and when, just ignore the fact that I'll be doing the job.

You want music I don't already have, you must provide it in my hand a minimum of 10 days prior to performance, such with lawful copyright compliance.

Demand I wear tuxedo attire, you pay such rental expense, albeit I have my own, except tails.

Exception: I do not charge to sound TAPS within a 25 mile radius of my home, but will now accept honorariums. Beyond that distance, it is $60.00/hour plus mileage portal to portal, and accommodations if necessary.

Bingo! You do not want to have to additionally pay my legal fees and expenses for Breach of Contract when I file to collect in Small Claims Court in your jurisdiction, whereas the "Black Ball" will ban you forever again getting a live musician to perform in your venue. Possibly, the judgement may also jeopardize the operational license of your venue or require you to obtain a surety bond at increased premium rates. Yes, filing in Small Claims Court must be in defendants jurisdiction. It wasn't music, but twice I've won in Small Claims Court.

Summary: documentation is much more perfected evidentiary than "you said, he said" legal arguments.

8. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    In college, I subbed for another player in just this type of situation. And for the next 3 years, I played every wedding, and every Sunday church job that followed. If I was already booked, i said I was already booked, but told them I would find a player for them. Before I moved away from town, I was the first call guy, and was known as a booking agent. The person that wins when you back out of a commitment, is the guy who subs for you.

Take the lower paying job. Be the guy who books the better paying gig, and take a SMALL finders fee.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Who...was...your...sub, Chuck? ROFL

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man I need a tux!