Backing out of a gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acmilan629, Apr 1, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    As soon as they have been turned down by 6 or 7 trumpet players, a euphonium player. and one alto sax player, I'm the very next guy they contact. Every time. I am ready to go. They won't be disappointed, don't you worry.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, I'm not at the top of the A-list, either...:lol: That doesn't bother me a bit, because I'm busy enough with a day job and my regular groups that I don't want (or need) a bunch of extra gigs.

3. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

I think that's applicable here. You know the right thing to do. Do it.

~Noah

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The thread OP is amazingly silent. A case where the answer was defined before asking the question?

I vote to not even offer any more advice until we have proof that there are ears behind the question.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes but sometimes after the conductor stops us during practice I like to play a few clunkers while it gets quiet for a few seconds.
    This is something like what goes on here. We like to bat it around even after the original poster leaves. Long gone.

Or, has any of you kept talking to someone, not realizing they have left the room, and you are talking to yourself for who knows how long?
    That's awkward, but there's no embarrassment because no one's around to laugh.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rent or Buy? Tailored or off the rack? Single, Double breasted? Shaw or square collar. Sizes? Color? Shirt, Ruffles or plain? Studs? Cuff Links? Tie? Patent leather shoes? You're kidding?

Or, are you part-timing as a MaƮtre-dis?

Afternoon wedding in white dinner jacket, evening reception in black jacket.

I've attended all such formal affairs, even wearing Prince Charlie or Montrose Jacket and kilt. Durn, they made me leave my sword at the door. Some were as photographer, some were as BG carrying concealed, and a few were as musician. I did take my white dinner jacket on our Caribbean cruise only to see one other wearing one.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just a tux man, just a tux. I had turn turn down a paying gig cause I do t have one. Really never thought I be asked! Guess the hose trumpet's helping me out. :-)

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    rofl

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you think the gig is worth it, you can rent a tux outfit at Men's Warehouse, Belk's, and many other formal shops/departments. The problem with this that most don't have same day service. Still, I don't believe I took the job you had to turn away, as I played no jobs requiring a tux in Virginia when I lived there. I did play one in Potomac MD and another in Kensington MD, both weddings where it was requested I wear a tux and I was paid appropriately. At our daughter's wedding she insisted that I wear the same style tux as the groom's men, thus I too rented from a Shop in Warrenton VA, and I paid for my rental even having to buy the patent leather shoes (as I haven't worn since).

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    J.C. Penney sells standard tux separates for a reasonable price. That's what I own now. The first tux I ever bought was a used one from a rental company...they replace them from time to time with newer styles and the old ones are pretty cheap. I just wear plain black shoes, not the patent leather ones.