Backing out of a gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acmilan629, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We would play to the end of the phrase after our conductor cut us off in rehearsal and at least one of us would add a tone to the chord. It freaks conductors out when they hear an out of place/context 6th chord.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Or a 2nd! "DON'T DO THAT, EVER AGAIN! THIS IS REAL MUSIC NOT JAZZ"!

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I think it puts fear into the heart of others when you play something out of the key signature, like a Bb when it's in the key of D? It has a nice resonance to it....especially when people have stopped playing for the most part.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The knack is to peer immediately into the bell and scratch your head in puzzlement.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I'm sure you don't recommend doing that during the concert, not that I would know, mind you.............:cool:

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    No, but sometimes you need to break the ice in rehearsals. If people were being a bit too serious, my buddy on tuba would 'warm up' with a few bottom Gs waiting for me to join in with :

7. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Same here. Back in high school I picked up a decent used tux for a low price from Tuxedo Junction. There are plenty of inexpensive options out there.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I equate this to those single note unwritten solos that the 3rd trumpet player seems to get in our band - mind you I play them beautifully.

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    OOPS, redundant.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The UK band I used to play with used to break into the theme to "The Archers", and again it was the bass players who would start it (from about the 1:30 point in the youtube clip).

Classic BBC Radio Theme ~ The Archers - YouTube

(This wasn't a totally random song selection - it was one of our staples to play to the visitors who were mainly of the "The Archers"-listening demographic during the summer month esplanade gigs. It had become excruciatingly familiar.)

--bumblebee

(I just realised how off the topic of the thread this post was. Sorry about that.)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014