Backtrack music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, May 16, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Is there a program where you can mute the trumpet sound from a song so that you can play it yourself?

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If you are happy to play the melody line of a song you could try out a karaoke CD. Or you could try something from here (quick google search result) -- Pop Trumpet Playalong

Otherwise what you ask for is very hard as there are lots of other instruments/voices which share primary and other important harmonics with the trumpet, which would make audio filtering hard.

--bumblebee

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    hmmm cause i wanted to get this song which purely just has trumpet, and mute it. It has to be that song cause i have the transcribes for it

4. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hm - maybe I'm missing something, but if the song is just a trumpet playing and nothing else, can't you just turn off the CD player?

But I suspect there is more than just a trumpet (such as a singer?) otherwise that wouldn't be very useful. As I said, if the trumpet is sharing substantially the same sound frequency spectrum as whatever isn't a trumpet in the tune/song then it will be hard to suppress the trumpet sound without suppressing the other voices or instruments in that spectrum.

A crude example (in case it's needed/welcome): A double-bass playing with a piccolo trumpet will probably lend itself to suppressing the trumpet sound by using a low-pass filter since the double-bass audible spectrum is that much lower than that of the trumpet. However, a regular trumpet playing with a clarinet will substantially occupy the the same audible spectrum making a simple low-, high-, or band-pass filter useless, and you would then have to move into the esoteric space of particular voice recognition and suppression which is what I think is very hard.

--bumblebee

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    hmm oh well seems complicated.

Ill just work around it

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The short answer is 'no,' you can't pull specific parts out of a song. You might have some luck pulling certain frequencies but you'd never get rid of it completley. The reason for this is because the track you hear is already mixed and mastered into a single track.

There is a plethora of karaoke style/Music-Minus-One stuff on the market. You should look into that instead IMO.

7. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Well I was looking for something like that myself, my solution?

I went and got "BAND IN A BOX" !! fun program.

I got the sheet music for the song and entered the chords, adjusted the tempo, added percussion and a style! Presto!!:play:

Got my SONG!!!

Converted it to mp3, burned it on to a CD and now I have many songs in various keys to practice with........ Kinda fun really, however this is not that way to go if you do not want to spend some time leaning the program it does take some investment.

8. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Not as fancy as Band-In-A-Box but there is Impro-Visor(which is FREE). You can download the Imaginary book from the forums which has all the chords you'd find in a big fake book. Like Band In A Box you can enter the chords yourself, select the music style, and enjoy. https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I think what the OP wants is a play along to a particular song OR to remove the trumpet part so that he can then play it along with the remaining other instruments. Wish I could also.

10. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    :lol: Another idea -- it might actually be easier sometimes to get a band together to play all the parts which aren't a trumpet, then play along with the band. :lol:

--bumblebee