Bad Buzz from decent player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MahlerBrass, Nov 24, 2004.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks a lot to for all your replies, the two reasons I'm so concerned with my buzzing, is one for myself, I feel the same Pops does about it but just haven't mastered it yet, and also for my students. I preach a lot to my students about buzzing and how important I think it is, but I'd like to be able to set an example of what it's supposed to sound like. I can describe it to them all I want, but nothing's going to beat them hearing what it's supposed to sound like. On a side note, Mr. Laureano, do you teach at any colleges or do you have a private studio? I ask because I have a couple more years till I finish my undergrad and am starting giving some serious considerations to grad schools. Thanks a lot again for all your replies!!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    MB,

I'm glad the TM communtity has shown that it can take care of its own..

As far as my teaching, here's what I do:

I have three high school age students that are regulars, all of whom play in our Youth Symphony. The balance of my students are "floaters" who get in when they can. They are for the most part older from college age to professionals who need a little direction in a technique or advice regarding excerpts.

I'm no longer affiliated with any University by my own choice as I felt that I prefer working with younger students. For quite a while I did little teaching but now that my kids are well-immersed in school life I have more time.

What this forum has really taught me is that I have to put my ideas down om paper and leave something behind when it's time for me to go. I'll probably start by collecting many of the questions that I've seen on this forum and others and see what it is peole need the most help in.

ML

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I think not enough of the people with your kind of knowledge share it by coming out with a book. I think any thing you would write would be a much welcomed addition to the trumpet literature

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I agree, I actually have a recording of a masterclass give by Mr. Laureano a few years ago, one of the most informative tools I have, I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were on paper.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    MB,

Was that the one I gave at Texas Tech?

I loved being in Texas... I was made to feel very at home there. And the food... what can I say? Very close to my heart.

ML

6. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm actually not sure where it was at, a good friend of mine gave me the recording but didn't specify as to where it was taken from, great stuff though!!

7. sdgtpt

sdgtpt New Friend

Dec 3, 2004
    MB,

The masterclass recording you have is of a class Manny did while was at an ITG conference and had just won the minnesota gig after coming from Seattle.

My favorite quote from that class is Manny's.... "I'm 27..... how old are you" :-)

8. RPG

RPG New Friend

Dec 6, 2004
    Connecticut
    Just joined TrumpetMaster today and this was the first forum I read. What a great one to pick. Mr. Laureano's suggestions on mouthpiece buzzing are well worth reading for anyone. Looking forward to more of Mr. Laureano's insights.

9. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    Yah, this is a great forum for discussion. Going back a bit, I have a bit of a double buzz that appears every once in a while by accident, and I was wondering whether you had any good tips? I've found that proper buzzing helps a lot, as it helps you to figure out how much air you need. Another good trick would be to fill a sink with water, and play with just your bell underneath. The amount of bubbles you get from a low c should be the same you get as you go up (Really good to do).
    If anyone else has any good tips, please post them as it's always good to see what others do (I'm not really even close to pro, but I still know a few 'tricks').

10. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I always start off with mouthpiece buzzing. Usually I will do long tones and siren calls BUT after reading Mr. Laureano's advise, I decided to take a musical approach.

I found that simply by buzzing "Maria" my chops felt more comfortable and were ready to go alot quiker than by doing sirens, long tones etc.

Not only does it get the chops going faster but it starts you off making a musical connection to your mind and making music is the bottom line.

Thanks for the advice-Sounded good enough on the gigs to get contracted for 4 more from last weekends gigs.