Bad carpenter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    People talk quite often in this forum about "finding equipment that best suits the individual." For me it takes quite a long time of blowing before i know how suitable it is (with mouthpieces months). In fact i would say that more often than not i have had to work at making it fit. My ethos has always been to look at myself before the equipment. For me the equipment is a mere amplifier of your chops; bad chops will sound bad on any amplifier. Has anyone truly and honestly "found" equipment (excluding a switch from student equipment to professional) that has made a dramatic difference, or are you like me, you have to work at making it fit? When you are surrounded by lots of shiny expensive brass equipment in a brass instrument shop, is the so called better equipment just a placebo? Should trumpet players always be on a quest for better equipment, or should they stop wasting time upon a "quick fix" and develop what they already have? Wilmer, you strike me as a straight talking "man's man", have you messed with changing equipment much over your long career? Have you ever found a piece of equipment that has hit the proverbial spot? Would you say that you should only change equipment for the musical purpose of colour, rather than technique?

Cheers B.U.M.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    How many of the same post do you have?