Bad Concert Habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, May 26, 2010.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    The concert I had tonight was great, both of our bands sounded excellent. But lets just say I have a bad habit of playing with mystand..........and people started to take notice. Anybody have any tricks to help me break this bad concert habit?

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't understand.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Just don't do it...

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Right, Stop playing with your stand!

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Your playing arround with your music stand is a sign of being nervous. This will pass with experience and concentrated effort to not do it. My only concern is that you will replace that bad habit with another, much like a smoker chewing gum to quit smoking. In many cases the gum chewing becomes just as bad a habit as the smoking. Ask me how I know.

OLDLOU>>

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I try and stop it, but I do it without thought. Its always the first minute of the concert, and then I'm typically fine. But I guess you ^ do have a good point. I could replace playing with the stand with something like an oboe.

7. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    How about smashing clarinets? That'd be far more entertaining. (the stick of pain!) ROFL

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Bring a book and read it during the concert. Yawn. Act bored. Pretend to count the ceiling tiles. Use a nail clipper to manicure your fingernails. Disassemble your horn and polish it. All this helps the time pass and you from fiddling with the stand in between playing. You really need ideas from Victor Borge.

9. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    In college, our Music Department staged a production of a Debussy opera using the University Symphony as the Pit Orchestra. During one of the performances, I noticed the tuba player with a few of his college textbooks in his lap studying for his other classes. I guess I couldn't blame the guy. He probably only played a few notes during the entire show. Might as well put the rest of the time to good use! :lol:

10. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    Our community band recently played for an adult education graduation ceremony, so there was a lot of wait time while presentations were being given. Well, the guy next to me has a really cool iPhone, so he, and I to a lesser extent and with a less-cool phone tend to quietly check our email, Facebook and surf for stuff while we wait. It backfired on him when he accidentally hit a video file with sound, and it played very loudly - he scrambled - but it played for a few long seconds before he could turn it off, much to the amusement of everybody else in the band.