Bad Days

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheBaker, May 10, 2007.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. But whoever talked about preeparation was right on the mark. You can never be too prepared. Well in adavance, practice, practice, practice. Do your program twice every day in full. Then take it easy for a bit the day or so before. Think good thoughts, visualize, and then go for it.
    Remember the trumpet is an unforgiving instrument and sometimes things will just go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. If you or when you make one don't dwell, forward, always forward.

Michael McLaughlin

2. DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod

DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod New Friend

May 10, 2007
    Southern Tier
    My advice is kind of the same advice I recieved from my teacher who is also a trumpet player. Develop your pattern, let me explain:
    1) Establish a Consistant Warm-Up this will lower the chances for "fluke" days
    2) When you play go until it does become hard to hit higher note this lowers the chance for fatigue and pulling a lip muscle.
    3) If you play multiple trumpets play the "performance" trumpet everytime you play the works so that way you will have adapted fully and are prepared for what that trumpet hands you
    4) Play in a consistant manner, don't flake out about performances, treat them as one of your best practices.

Remember, performances are there to show off what you can do, and no matter what happens the audience will still applaude, just because you miss one note you will not get booed off stage, that is if you are in high school.

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005

Or to turn that around, treat you practice sessions like performances. I think Bud Herseth said "Never practice, always perform."

Jason.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tim,
    I never thought about this in this way - BRILLIANT!
    If you don't mind, I will quote this to all of my students. There are times when you do not have much choice, but most of the time you do and making this a concious effort should be common sense - but I know that I am often guilty of the opposite - practicing on beat up chops!!

5. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I feel your pain bro. This happened to me ALLLL the time for a number of months...
    One day sitting and playing my trumpet on a bad day, I realized something..........
    My mouth was WAAAAY off and had similar bad sounds, tone, range etc. as previous days.

Maybe you got like a double personality thing goin like I had, as in two embrochure postions or something. Now I just lost some of my talent because of this over the months, so now I'm bringing it all back.

ps: even with my bad days i was top of my class :D