Bad days

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I was just practicing and getting frustrated because so far on my 2 week break from marching band I think I've played at least 20 minutes everyday and today my lips just would not vibrate or respond well, and I was getting tired after like 30 seconds of the horn on my face at a time and I had very little control and accuracy, and I could not really play high, I just heard air through the horn. Does this mean I played incorrectly the day before or is it from playing too much lately? How do I avoid this?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    20 minutes a day is simply not enough. During playing season you had a lot more on your plate and that built habits, however dubious. Now you don't support your habit and your body fights back. It applies to nicotine, alcohol and trumpet. Once you are hooked, it is impossible to turn back without the DTs.
    Summer break should mean time for a decent routine. You avoid the symptoms by treating your chops responsibly. Serious trumpet is at least an hour a day. That is how you avoid what you are going through.

3. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    So I need to play at least an hour a day and play smart to avoid this? Because during playing season we would play anywhere from 4 and a half to 6 hours a day, so 20 minutes might be doing next to nothing right now.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    :thumbsup:

2 smart hours would be even better. If you think times are tough now, wait till you get back to school and marching band starts. 20 minutes a day and then mashed chops for lunch. Not a recipe for success.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When ever I would be away from the trumpet for an extended period I used to practice for a half an hour two or three times a day until I started to feel stronger, don't try to do it all in one sitting.

6. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Exactly. You build up one small step at a time.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Exactly........

Do you want to know the real secret?

Well, for $39.99....just kidding..:D

Everything that you describe occurs at some times when I don't set my chops cold for a G above staff.

If you're cold and start low, this air release happens. Set high, then step lower, lower down the staff, lower,lower, lower hold it. bam!

It's as easy as giving birth to a baby!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  8. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Ummm....what??

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    When I find the same predicament your in. I find my chops are set too low.

Set chops for higher on the staff, for you, maybe a high C, then, play down the staff, ledger low and buzz 'em. After 45 seconds, you should play whatever you want.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    "Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win, some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins." - Dizzy Gillespie​

20 minutes a day is fine if all you're trying to do is stay in touch with the horn. Some days, the horn wins. We all have bad days, no worries.