bad days

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raw_Brass_Kicks, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    Dear TM community,
    I know as trumpet players we can sometimes be inconsistent and have bad days every once in a while (inconsistent inconsistency, ha!). Things that add to the bad day can be dried lips, tired lips, tired lungs, tired body, bad air, boredom, etc. what do you fellows do to make the best use those days?
    thanks TM! :play:
    Merry Christmas
    RBK :-P

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Preparation and practice reduce the bad days - water is essential prior to a gig - alcohol is almost equally essential afterwards - unless you are under age. :oops:

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Control what you can control. You can always take a good breath, stand with good posture and use you mind, ears and sound concept. When the chops feel bad, rely on what you've still got...not a miracle cure, but it's about all you can do.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I tried to boil the question down to what I think you were really asking. Is this right? If so, the issue is what can be done to use the bad days productively? Well, what I do is...first, realize that this is only temporary and that tomorrow will be better. So, I don't become discouraged. I simply look to what I can do better tomorrow. Second, instead of wasting time fretting, I do a quick practice session focusing on the things that are still working for me, and then I move on to something entirely different, so that at least I accomplish something on a "bad hair day" ("bad AIR day???).

5. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    I just finished doing a run of 20 shows. Each day my chops felt different so here are the things I thought about to improve consistency:
    1. Stay hydrated
    2. Concentrate on taking a relaxed breath at all times
    3. Play the horn in your head not the one in your hands. In other words try to hear what you want to come out of the horn and concentrate on this, not on how your chops feel.

Other than being very well prepared these are the only things that can help you overcome those "bad" days.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    All great thoughts given above! Best one...DONT GET DISCOURAGED. Downward spirals are hard to pull out of. I try to drop back to simpler stuff that I know that I can do well. There is some truth to the adage that it is good to play easy music well and bad to play difficult music badly. Now.. the idea is to get better skills so you will have to tackle that difficult music sooner or later, just not every practice session. When its not working for you, play some hymns, pull out the Christmas songs, improvise some blues, Lord knows you have good reason to be blue! Best wishes.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and don't get FRUSTRATED with yourself --- those are the days where you "want to quit" -- but don't, don't throw your horn either --- Neither one will be beneficial ---
    play low soft, long tones, and easy songs on those "bad" days -- cut the practice short if you have to -- tomorrow (or the day after) will likely be better.