Bad embouchure problem.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChrisDB, May 10, 2015.

1. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    So ever since I started trying jazz, solos made me very nervous that I would pull back my corners of my lip and kind of smile...or something.
    Well now I took a break from the whole solo thing but I realize that my issue has started to make its way to other scenarios such as playing with a big band where I am not nervous at all. Or even when I practice at home. Either way I have found it very hard to fix this issue, my whole embouchure gets very stiff and numb.

2. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    In my experience, trying to focus on what skills you have that are working for you, and building from those can help in this case. Maybe taking some time to work on fundamentals such as long tones, and tonging in a very comfortable register for you would help. Learn to feel the air going through the horn as you play long tones, and embrace the feeling of playing- enjoy it! The more than you can build good habits in small ways, the more it will help your playing overall. When you find yourself getting caught up in the endless pit of "what is my embouchure doing", just remember to lead with your air, and think about the music. I have been in a similar situation as you for a long time, and have been slowing coming out of it. Are you able to take lessons with a good teacher? Best of luck to you

3. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    Thanks!