Bad Embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Dec 10, 2007.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I had my braces taken off in September after Jazz Band(high school) had already started. I am first trumpet so I had to take the notes down a lot until I got them off. When I got them off, I tried to jump in right away, trying to play high and get back to normal, having Jazz Band every-other day. Another user previously said that I can't take it too fast because it may allow me to develop a bad embouchure which may cause later problems. I have been playing for two months and trying all sorts of excerises, relieving pressure, and I haven't been able to feel the same or get my range up. What do I have to do?

2. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    My advice is to keep playing.
    I was stuck in a rut for almost 8 months where my playing was just... wierd.

Long tones and less-pressure practises helped me get back on the right track, so I say just keep honkin away on that horn and it'll come.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The entire geometry of your face has changed now that the braces are gone. Reliable playing is based on habits that you presently do not have. Relearning habits takes time and patience.
    If you use this opportunity for a "new start", paying attention to your breathing and correct embouchure building exercizes, you will be far better than before. If you become impatient, you will probably end up with a saxophone or recorder.

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    All I have to say is Ton's of Long tones. Take it slow for awhile, dont try to play high until you have your basics down. play soft and low for awhile. Do long tones starting at ppppp and cres. to where your sound starts to spread, then back down to ppppp. Do that on ever note up to middle c for awhile. After you start feeling comfortable start doing them to a G above the staff.

In due time, you'll be back to normal.

5. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Thanks Alot!:-)

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I had my braces taken off two years ago, and I just about quit playing altogether because it made me get so discouraged. I was expecting my range to get a boost right away, but it was a very unpleasant surprise. My advice is just be patient and keep playing. Whatever you do don't stop playing because it will come back to you.