Bad Habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewK, Feb 10, 2005.

1. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Yes it is where the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra plays. Very exceptional sound in the hall that is for sure!

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Pots... you were in Calgary and didn't turn to wave at me? I was sitting in the center of the mezzanine section behind the sound guys. Great concert.

I agree that the Winspear does have some similarities to the Jack Singer but of course the Winspear has that fantastic new pipe organ as well as the "optional" electronic enhancement system.

I had the impression that Wynton would have wandered around behind the band no matter whether anyone was sitting back there or not. It really had an effect on his sound from "out front" and I think it was deliberate on his part for that reason.

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Is Al Lowrey still around?

4. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    playing by ear and playing from music simply use different sides of the brain....relax and enjoy your blessing

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

KEWL.......... :cool:

6. trumpetgirl612

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    the brain is awesome when broekn down and studied...like more musicians are lefties b/c music and the arts utilizes the right side of the brain <attatched to ur left hand>

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Try the following:

Play an improvised solo using your regular set-up. Now take an improvised solo fingering your horn with your left hand instead of your right. Try to play over the same tune if possible.

You will notice that you will solo differently with each individual set-up. You maximium potential on each solo will be limited by the maximim technique you have "under your fingers".

Studying with the right teacher will help you develop greater tecnique and that will eventually show up in your solos.

Having said that, I think its important to keep a fresh, almost childlike curiosity, in one's practising to truly develop your individual voice.

What you have done up to now is great---Learning melody first and technique second. I believe some countries actually approach learning the instrument in this way.

8. trumpetgirl612

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    practicing tough passages with ut left hand works great too

9. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi trumpetgirl:

I personally like playing left handed when my chops are are not feeling very good. It takes my mind off my chop problems, and before you know it, you are back to your regular self.

10. trumpetgirl612

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    how true

i am acutally left handed, and often play lefty just for fun, but i hear for others, it can be quite a challenege