Bad idea to change embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Oct 10, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    ive been reading a lot about upstream and downstream players, and i realized that 2 years ago i had a upstream embouchure and now i have a downstream embouchure

i played with a much better sound 2 years ago also that was also the year i made area. Now i play nowhere near as good as back then

would it be a bad idea for me to try to change my embouchure back to how it used to me now? or just work with what i got?

reason why i know i used to have a upstream embouchure is because i took a lot of videos of me playing back then and i was looking at them and i noticed

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Best thing would be to get with a pro for a few lessons. f you are close to a college with a music program, you can likely find someone there.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think you answered your own question.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    If you changed it on purpose...that's random.
    But regardless, having changed embouchure means that you haven't been on this new one for very long...so you won't be as accustomed to it, it wont be as efficient, etc YET
    I predict changing back will cause similar issues, unless it's natural and you're still trying to force an downstream embouchure.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Has anything else changed?
    had dental work?
    new mouthpiece?
    anything?

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Heed this.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Six weeks is enough time to adopt to a new embouchure change. This is basic Physiology 101 knowledge from muscle physiology. If you have not achieved some successful muscle control for the tune you choose to develop, another 6 weeks... then another 6 weeks... then another 6 weeks... is NOT going to achieve results either.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    This advice is not meant to be nasty to you and I would say it to you in person in a way you would understand I am giving you the best advice i can in the nicest way possible.
    Stop analyzing yourself. You don't have the experience. Even the greatest students, and I'm talking about major orchestra players, of Vincent Chicowicz would often go back to him for advice. They couldn't put their fingers on their issues even with their ability and experience.
    Get a real teacher to help you.
    Experts often disagree what is upstream/downstream. Put your mouthpiece where it feels best and stop fooling around with things you do not really comprehend yet. Heck, most of us here don't get that aspect either.
    Stop coming here and any other trumpet website for a time and don't take every word written here or elsewhere as gospel. It isn't. There are posts buried in this website from folks who are giving their "expert" opinion as if they are great pedagogs and later prove they can't answer the simplest question about playing because they don't know.
    Go practice.
    Rich T.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. trumpetplayer231

trumpetplayer231 Banned

Aug 31, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I'm going to have to agree and disagree with Rich on that statement, that may have come off a bit harsh, yes you shouldn't have to ask us for help, but again, that's what the website is for. But to address that kind of issue you may need an actual teacher to help you with that. Because sadly here, we can't really do anything to physically help you with that issue. I have an embouchure issue as well, and i am working on fixing it myself. Now i have learned it takes time, so you should really only start fixing it when you have the time on a off season of something where you can start working on it. Don't think it's the end of the world though just because you have a bad Embouchure, trust me i thought the same thing. Just work on it, and slowly start to build a correct embouchure over time. BEST OF LUCK!

10. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I wish I had known this before I spent years trying to do things that weren't going to work on my face.

It's great to find and listen to a great teacher, but don't assume they are great because they teach at the local university or because they have a doctorate, or whatever. I was misled by the first college level teacher I took lessons from in high school (even though he was a really nice guy and I liked him a lot). He changed me from a relaxed player into a very tense player as he tried to make me fit his mold. None of my successive teachers knew this piece of my history, so they never tried to undo what had been done before adding their take on embouchure. Disaster that I'm just now working out after 40 years.

Everybody's face is different and a really good teacher will adapt some things to help you figure out what works for you. Find THAT teacher, because while it may only take 6 weeks to learn some new good habits, it only takes the same 6 weeks to learn bad ones. And bad habits take way longer than 6 weeks to correct.

-John