Bad practice - need some love

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by steve_proto, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It helps to have those days from time that time to show us how hard the trumpet is to play.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But when you don't have those days, you find that the trumpet is a pretty easy instrument to play.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No. Better to put the horn back in the case, go do something else (can be music/practice related, like finger exercises, listening, sight singing), and come back the the trumpet later.

4. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm...might be time to do some research...:)

~Noah

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good advice by gmonady and others.

If you were a runner, and sprained your ankle, will continuing to run do you any good?

If you "sprained" your embouchure, will continuing to play the trumpet do you any good?

The answer to both questions is "no".

Often, it's what we do after we strain our embouchure that dictates our recovery. By continuing to play on a strained embouchure, you're risking a secondary injury, which is often typically worse than the original one.

Put the horn away. Read a book. Rest and recover.

Mike

6. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    I went through a week-long rut recently and before I made myself crazy, I went back to basics. After a few days, I went up to the mirror with my embouchure visualizer and realized that I made an inadvertent and very minute change in the placement of my mouthpiece. Problem solved. Great advice in this forum.

7. steve_proto

steve_proto New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Oxford, UK
    What physiology stuff is that gmonady?

Ta

Just having lunch and then back to the trumpet for round 2.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'll say what gmonady would if he were as enlightened as the Vulgani. It's all about physiology and self-talk. Positive self talk is what prevents us from turning having a bad day into being a bad player. The physiology part is waaay tough, and usually involves evolution rather than revolution.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Muscle physiology. Muscle is trained by repetitive action, and to build maximal muscle, this must be done on (at least) an every other day routine. Getting the best routine is key, and is goal oriented. The optimal performance is working the muscle up to the point that anaerobic metabolism is reached, and then backing off, before lactic acid build up becomes significant enough to begin the process of muscle strain. The neat thing that we trumpet players have that running athletes don't, is fine motor feed back from our lip muscle. Beginning to loose control of note production is the first warning signal that we need to cut back. If we can cut back with perhaps a 10 minute rest, and lip massage, then we can go back to our routine. HOWEVER, if we ignore loss of control of notes, then we take muscle into strain patterns, and breakdown of fiber begins to happen. We have at this point defeated our goal of building muscle. And if you begin to feel pain you have started to tear fiber, and if that continues, muscle damage becomes harder to repair and at worse, scar sets in which remodels muscle, changing it's optimal linkage among fibers. That is Muscle Physiology 101 as applied to trumpet playing for the day.

neal085 and Vulgano Brother like this.
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe in Vulgani, and positive self talk is vital to take playing to the next level. Through self talk we achieve more attainable attitudes and goals to putting physiology into positive action. It is very much a Zen thing.